Any takers?

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

ivanmanley

Post by ivanmanley » Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:02 pm

12'

Ordered via Western Union. You could use a bank transfer which is cheaper but not quite as simple ... I'm a simple person, so go for the easiest way unless it costs a LOT more :lol:

Ivan
________
Chevrolet Orlando specifications
Last edited by ivanmanley on Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ian Melville

Post by Ian Melville » Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:42 pm

Also simple person that likes things in words of one syllable :lol:

I've never used a money transfer so this is new territory for me, and this building lark is a step into the unknown. Image

Weston Union looks like a £21 fee, which if it includes currency conversion is not too bad. Or will my Credit Card sting me for that?

I assume the next step is to contact Dave for his details (before I get cold feet)

ivanmanley

Post by ivanmanley » Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:06 pm

Go for it :D

..................... and then there were four! 8)
________
Yamaha DX7
Last edited by ivanmanley on Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ian Melville

Post by Ian Melville » Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:31 pm

email sent, and there soon will be four.

Now what have I gone and done :?

Bill McCarthy

Post by Bill McCarthy » Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:55 pm

Ian and Ivan,
Once you've given you set of plans a good going over, keep posting your impressions and how you plan to proceed - I'm very sorely tempted.
I've had a look at some of the build photos on the "coppermine" website and it looks reasonably straightforward.

Richard Boyton

Post by Richard Boyton » Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:32 am

Bill

I'll second that, the more info we have to share around the better.

Richard

ivanmanley

Post by ivanmanley » Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:18 pm

Well, what can I say? Early days, but so far so good! The drawings are of excellent quality and clarity and are backed up with a great build manual containing much advice. The design is simple and has a nice rounded look but without complex curves. As many have said ... very pretty!

I can see why the LAA dislike the rudder control set up, but don't let that detract from the otherwise excellent design. The rudders hang down from a cross tube straddling the upper longerons. they are elongated "squared C" in shape, and quite stalk like. As such they may be weak and would experience a twist force that may accentuate wear. Further to this, the connection between the pedals and rudder is via heavy duty "bowden" type cable, not unlike throttle cables. I'm not so sure I'd trust that idea to last well in service. I see no reason why a normal pedal and exposed cable set up could not be easily incorporated and that is what the LAA would like. I've had a good chat with Nigel Bamber of the LAA and he is very upbeat about the aircraft. FD has put him in charge of overseeing the CX4, which I see as a good thing as Nigel is likely to be more accessable than Francis and probably has more time to dedicate to the project.

So as it stands we have an as yet unapproved but very sound design which the LAA are confident will see no significant problems. As the first few projects (or lead aircraft if one builder tears ahead of the rest) take shape Nigel will check the odd thing here and there, and may ask for a little work to rectify any weaknesses. However, he anticipates any such rectification to be small.

I've been ringing around to source materials and have found the 12'X4' sheets of 6061-T6 may be awkward to obtain. They can be sourced, but have to be bought over from the US. their size would mean they have to be palletised, so collaboration between builders would significantly reduce the freight charges. Having looked at the drawings and confirmed it with Dave Thatcher, the 12' sheets could be cut to 8' if that helps with freight costs ... So if anybody knows of a good source of 6061 T6, please let me know.

All the best, Ivan
________
R1150R
Last edited by ivanmanley on Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nick Allen

Post by Nick Allen » Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:21 pm

Ivan, Is this of any help sheetwise? http://www.winged-aviation.co.uk/Sheet.htm
(no prices though...)

ivanmanley

Post by ivanmanley » Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:31 am

Thanks, I'll try both of those sources later today and report back.
________
design host
Last edited by ivanmanley on Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ivanmanley

Post by ivanmanley » Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:06 am

Oh bum!

Forgot it's a bank holiday :roll: Now I have to wait until Tuesday to find out. I have to work ... so should everyone else! :twisted: :wink:

Ivan
________
vapir no2
Last edited by ivanmanley on Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

David Hall

Post by David Hall » Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:33 pm

welshman wrote: :roll: Suppose since its a thatcher you could call it "The Iron Lady" :roll:
Very good - I think that may well stick :twisted:

Nick Allen

Post by Nick Allen » Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:26 pm

Ivan, Quick question (as you've got the plans): are those flaperons on the wings? (Couldn't make out from the photos what was there, but the line drawing on the website seems to suggest flaperons...)

Ian Melville

Post by Ian Melville » Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:25 pm

I think Ivan will confirm this but they are just ailerons, there are no flaps on the CX4

I have not got my plans yet, but I have seen a comment from Dave Thatcher to Ivan
> I believe the CX4 will fly off a 840 foot field at your weight, but
> you will need to make wheel landings and brake on landing as the CX4
> has no flaps and will float a bit.