Any takers?

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

ivanmanley

Post by ivanmanley » Fri Mar 21, 2008 5:16 pm

Correct Ian, no flaps.

On the Yahoo discussion groups website, there is a post in the files section on Questions and asnswers from Dave. Somebody asks about adding flaps. Dave's reply is that the aircraft slips well, and was intended to be as simple as possible so flaps were considered unnecessary. He also mentions that it would be simple to add a drag plate under the centre section to help kill float. I might investigate that idea for mine as my strip is 250m.
________
Toyota PM history
Last edited by ivanmanley on Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ian Melville

Post by Ian Melville » Fri Mar 21, 2008 5:18 pm

Ivan,
Just to let you know my $360 is winging it's way across the Atlantic as I type

I cannot find the message but I was not aware of an issue with 12'X4' sheets of 6061-T6. If we do have to get from the States then I would try and avoid cutting it to 8' as it will reduce the scope for sellling the surplus on.

In the message I mentioned above was an issue with the L section used for the spars. Lack of availablity in the UK. Or is that duff info?

Cheers
Ian

ivanmanley

Post by ivanmanley » Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:49 pm

Surplus? :lol:

Wait till you see the drawings ... Dave Thatcher has made a pretty good cutting list and not a lot of those sheets is wasted! If reduced to 8X4, I reckon on one extra sheet of 020 might be required, but if the shipping cost was reduced enough, then that would make no odds. However, I'm hopeful that some of the leads suggested here may be the answer.

Great to see you've ordered the plans ... Welcome to the club! :D
________
Meth Rehab Forums
Last edited by ivanmanley on Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ivanmanley

Post by ivanmanley » Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:55 pm

You going into business Welshman? :lol:

One sheet of .032 is required along with one of .040 and eight of .020

I'd happily buy the .032, but getting it to me would probably be too expensive. If someone near you starts building, that sheet will find a home. The offer of help is gratefully recieved and if needed, I will certainly be in touch.

Ivan
________
Free ikea gift cards
Last edited by ivanmanley on Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bill McCarthy

Post by Bill McCarthy » Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:06 am

Ivan,
Did I get a suggestion from the build photographs that the main spar rivets were formed using a press rather than with a pneumatic rivet gun?

Bill

ivanmanley

Post by ivanmanley » Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:24 am

Hi Bill,

Nope, the spar rivets are formed the usual way with a gun and bucking bar. I suppose somebody posting pictures on the photo site may have come up with a press of some sort. There are hundreds of pictures on there and I haven't trawled through them all yet. The rivet holes in the spars are done using a drill press, so I guess it may be possible to adapt it to squish rivets? It would be neat if you could, but I'm not sure that you'd get them tight enough that way.

Ivan
________
List of engines
Last edited by ivanmanley on Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bill McCarthy

Post by Bill McCarthy » Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:50 am

Thanks Ivan,
I must have misinterpreted the photo. I would rather form the rivets in the conventional manner anyway. Time to get the shed spruced up and fitted out I think. This aircraft could prove even more popular if one appeared over on "this side of the pond" at a large fly-in.

ivanmanley

Post by ivanmanley » Sun Mar 23, 2008 5:51 am

This aircraft could prove even more popular if one appeared over on "this side of the pond" at a large fly-in.
Bill, I don't think it's a matter of "if" but "when" :D I'm glad you're looking seriously at building one ... The more the merrier! 8)

Ivan
________
Sebring (coupe)
Last edited by ivanmanley on Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

David Hall

Post by David Hall » Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:18 am

I have been emailed a price list of 'prefabricated' items, with an estimation of shipping costs, by Peter Beck who builds them under license from David Thatcher.

At the moment he can offer:
Wing spars, including center section, fully assembled / riveted;
Formed rib and bulkhead package (99 parts unit count);
Bulkheads, ex the ribs that go into the fast-build wing; and
Fast-build wing - which they have just completed development of.

The spars include the center section - the accuracy is said to enable interchangeable wings.

All spar and skin holes are pre-drilled or pre-punched with CNC machinery. All skins are self-aligning, and no jigs or fixtures are required.

The fast-build wing assembles by clecoing together and then riveting (pop rivets), and the process should take a total of 15 to 20 hours but is said to save more than 150 to 250 hours if building from scratch. They aim to be able to start producing these in a month or so.

Peter is planning further fast build options for the fuselage and empenage.

Anyone interested please PM me for more detail.
Last edited by David Hall on Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ian Melville

Post by Ian Melville » Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:15 pm

My plans arrived this morning :D

Had a quick look through and started me thinking "OMG can I do this". Not helped by everyone, bar one, telling why I shouldn't build a CX4

So far I have been told.........
It's cheaper to rent
It's cheaper to spend 12k on a built permit aircraft
It hasn't got 2 seats, and I'll wish I had a second
I don't have the time.
I cannot afford it

Wish I'd kept my mouth shut, Friends, don't you just love em.
The trouble is, in part they are right.

ivanmanley

Post by ivanmanley » Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:37 am

They're right ............ but also very wrong :lol:

1. Renting cheaper? Hmmmm, maybe? But let's say it costs ?10,000 to make the aeroplane. That's 100 hours of C152 rental at ?100/hr. Once the aeroplane is made it will cost you ?25-?60/hr approx, depending on where you keep it and fuel price (but fuel price will also affect rental price). It won't take that long to recoupe the difference you'd spend if you were to carry on renting.

2. It's cheaper to buy a ?12,000 aeroplane? Why? Unless you count your time into the construction costs. For most of us, that bit is just a labour of love. If you count your time in then yes it would be cheaper, but then you'd have to be content with a second hand aeroplane with higher maintanence costs.

3. It hasn't got two seats. Well no, obviously. It would be nice if it did, but then that puts up costs all round. Bigger, more expensive engine, more materials required to build, higher insurance costs, ect .... How often do you take passengers? You could rent when you do ... Your choice :wink:

4. I don't have the time? ... Make time. It's better than watching telly :lol:

5. I can't afford it? ... Who can? I can't, that's why I've gone for plans built. You can do it bit by bit as time and money allow.

Building is NOT an easy option. It can be daunting, but you just take it one step at a time. The whole seems impossible, but the little bits are easy. The great thing is, that an aeroplane is made up of lots of little bits. Take one little bit at a time and it's surprising how it all comes together. Only you can decide if it's worth the effort and commitment. All I can say is that in my experience, the very first flight you take in an aeroplane you've constructed yourself is worth all that effort in itself. Any flying that you do in it afterwards is a bonus! :D

Ivan

Edited to add. Friends :roll: At least you can choose them. Of course, the other great thing about building your own aeroplane is the friends you make whilst doing it :D
________
Honda RC170
Last edited by ivanmanley on Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ian Melville

Post by Ian Melville » Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:38 pm

Thank you Ivan I feel better now :D

As you prob gathererd they didn't convince me. I also have additional reasons to build
1. I like making things
2. I have a hearing problem and want total control for coms installation so that I can hear the radio

I also had planned to rent 2 or 4 seats as and when required.

Cheers
Ian

ivanmanley

6061-T6 Sheet

Post by ivanmanley » Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:54 am

Jon Ward has found a cheap supplier near Southampton. I've spoken to them this morning and they can supply the 020 at ?45 and the two thicker sheets at ?105 each. They may do cheaper for a bigger order so I'm keen to get anybody interested to contact me on 07854251632 ASAP.

Cheers, Ivan
________
hotels in mexico
Last edited by ivanmanley on Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

John Dean

Post by John Dean » Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:00 pm

There were two CX4's on the flightline at Sun n Fun this year and they looked very pretty. Thought you might like to see a few photos.