Thatcher Parts

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

David Hall

Thatcher Parts

Post by David Hall » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:52 pm

Worth noting that Peter Beck has his own site up and running now for CX4 parts.

Ian Melville

Post by Ian Melville » Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:55 pm

A word of caution
Peter has made alterations to the design to ease manufacturing. I don't have the full details, but understand that includes changes to the rear wing spar and tailplane spar. I am not aware of any load testing etc on this new design, and this is not the design that I am working on.

I have nothing against these alterations, but if you do buy one of Peters kits then you will have additional work to do. The alterations make sense, and a plan only builder with a 8' bending brake could replicate these changes. David Thatcher has assumed that a brake is not available.

David Hall

Post by David Hall » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:27 pm

For what it's worth, here is Peter Beck's explanation of the modification:

"The rear spar per the drawings is the bent upward rear edge of the bottom wing skin, doubled up with a 92" 1" angle piece to form a spar and doubler to provide the attachment to the rear center spar. The fast build wing rear spar is .032" 6061 sheet that is punched with rivet holes then braked into a "Z" cross section. This change is approved by Dave Thatcher for this application, and hopefully it will not require engineering review for you, but it might fit under the meaning of prototype implementation."