Aircraft Painting course

For full information concerning the Coaching scheme please see the LAA web site.
Chairman of Pilot Coaching Scheme : David Cockburn
National Coach : Chris Thompson

Moderators: PennySharpe, John Dean

Ian Melville

Aircraft Painting course

Post by Ian Melville » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:21 am

Did I hear right that the LAA have just run, or are about to run an aircraft painting course?

I have been getting conflicting/confusing/impractical advice left right and centre on etching/priming/painting and need help soon.

Ian Melville

Post by Ian Melville » Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:48 pm

57 Views and not a single response :cry: I would have thought that LAA towers would have chipped in with an official comment.

Having spoken to the individual who I was told was attending a LAA painting course, I now have the details.

It appears that the course was run by the Southern Strut, as a strut event.

It sound like just the thing I need, and It's a pity that I could not attend.

Chris.burgess

Re: Aircraft Painting course

Post by Chris.burgess » Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:54 am

Good idea Ian. I too would be interested in a painting course. I've been looking for an automotive one but cannot find anything other than a year at college. Just knowing how to properly adjust a spray gun would be helpful.

Mike Freeman

Post by Mike Freeman » Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:29 pm

I would be interested in this also.

Richard Mole

Post by Richard Mole » Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:24 pm

I should also be delighted to sign up for a course like this.
Richard

Ian Melville

Post by Ian Melville » Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:21 am

It would appear that there are quite a few people, both here and I have spoken to at various airfields and pubs, that would like guidance on protection and finishing methods. I did speak to Brian Hope about this a while back and was left with the feeling that there was not too much enthusiasm to run a course. Since speaking to Brian I have realised that a suitable location (spay booth for HSE etc) may be an issue. Unless one of the Pro-painting companies comes on-board, a practical course will not happen.

There is no doubt that there is a lot of experience within the LAA membership, which needs to be unlocked. I was wondering if there was sufficient interest to have a workshop/conference with the aim of producing Technical Leaflet (TL) on corrosion protection and finishing methods for the home builder? There would be no practical spaying (except water perhaps), but it aimed to allow attendees to buy the right kit and do the hands on bit at home. Perhaps buddying up people?

The idea is being put up, to be shot at. Any thoughts?
Ian Melville

Brian Hope

Post by Brian Hope » Sun Mar 13, 2016 7:58 am

Hi Ian, sorry, I didn't spot your message until this morning.
There are some things you can learn from a book, and some things you cannot and spraying falls squarely in the latter category. I once, over thirty years ago now, sprayed cars and lorries for a living but nowadays the rules and regulations, H&S etc. do, as Ian says, make running a training course where participants can actually handle a spraygun very difficult. You really do need to do the job in a proper spray booth if you want to be legal. Painting your own aircraft in a hangar or workshop sectioned off with polythene sheeting you will probably get away with, running a training course as a responsible organisation in such a way would be folly.
However, I think there is merit in Ian's proposal.
It is a shame that many of the microlight and kit manufacturers have chosen to ignore the lessons about corrosion protection that were learned decades ago in the aviation industry and personally I think some of the corrosion issues we are seeing in still quite new kit aircraft are a disgrace. Clearly there is a need for builders to better understand the pros and cons of the various protection systems available, and how to apply them. Let me have a think about it and ask a few questions in the appropriate quarters and we'll see if we can come up with something.
Rgds, Brian