COACHING CORNER

For full information concerning the Coaching scheme please see the LAA web site.
Chairman of Pilot Coaching Scheme : David Cockburn
National Coach : Chris Thompson

Moderators: PennySharpe, John Dean

Will Greenwood

COACHING CORNER

Post by Will Greenwood » Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:17 pm

Hi All, does anyone have any subjects that they would like to be aired or explained in the LAA magazine, nose wheel or tail wheel, grass and tarmac, radio, navigation, landing techniques etc. Let us know !!

ChampChump

Post by ChampChump » Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:44 am

This thread is so tucked away I nearly missed it.

On the basis that others may have missed it too, perhaps you could post a link further up the chain. I'm sure the more opinionated will be pleased to suggest topics.

I'm thinking, so bear with me. It takes a long time.
Nic Orchard

Jonathan Wilkins

Post by Jonathan Wilkins » Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:22 pm

Hi Will,

I think one subject that should be highlighted is that of Wake Turbulence, especially on these calmer summer evenings in the circuit, and not just from the prop. I recently experienced the turbulence a landing aircraft can create if you are positioned too close on short finals, especially in an aircraft like mine. Just a suggestion??

Will Greenwood

Post by Will Greenwood » Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:43 pm

Hi Jonathan, yes that is a good one, also varying the circuit speed to give seperation to allow for lighter aircraft. I have also just written an article especially for single seat aircraft, which you may find of interest.

Cheers Will.

Jonathan Wilkins

Post by Jonathan Wilkins » Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:22 pm

Excellent, i shall look forward to reading that. If i can think of anything else il let you know. Oh and well done for all your efforts in the mag, your last article made very good reading.

Dave Hall

Going Foreign

Post by Dave Hall » Fri Aug 01, 2008 6:14 pm

Hi Will,
Maybe something on the documentation needed to give the new crop of pilots a check-list of what to do when planning a foreign flight would be helpful.

Could be handy having a resume of where the forms are and how to fill them in. I've found myself having to scratch around and understand the requirements, which has been easier with input from a local Strut member.

There's a booklet and list on the LAA site for Permit aircraft going to various places, but I can't find anything on the GAR forms and flight plans etc.

Will Greenwood

Post by Will Greenwood » Fri Aug 01, 2008 6:50 pm

Hi Dave, that is something that could go in the LAA mag, maybe a pull out section. I will investigate and see what I can find, thanks for your input.

Regards Will LAA/PCS

ian herdis

Post by ian herdis » Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:16 am

Good idea Dave as a new pilot myself that is some thing I would find very helpful

Dave Hall

Post by Dave Hall » Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:25 am

Handy in a mag pull-out, but in the interests of anyone joining later, it could be posted on the web too.

cardiffrob

Post by cardiffrob » Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:36 am

Slightly off topic, but I've recently read a book by Carroll Smith about nut 'n' bolt technology. Lots of things I never knew about bolt selection, correct wire locking and how to select and size bolts correctly. Not exactly flying related but maybe a useful item to put into an engineering section?

Weight and balance might be a good subject. How to calculate from scratch, effects of extending limits and effect on take-off roll etc. Must account for a few AAIB reports!

gbolger

Coaching: Checks

Post by gbolger » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:20 pm

Just wondered would there be merit in having something on regular checks (i.e. common 50-hours that people can do themselves). I realise each a/c is different but there will be commonalities

regards

Gerry

H Stuart

Post by H Stuart » Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:21 pm

Hi,
I am a student pilot coming up time to do solo cross country.
Is it possible to use my own permit plane for these hours.
i am sole owner of a Rollason Condor.
I have my medical and insurance and a permit till december 2011.
Probably asked many times before I guess.
This would be very helpful.
thanks.