NPPL(M) upgrade on permit aircraft

For full information concerning the Coaching scheme please see the LAA web site.
Chairman of Pilot Coaching Scheme : David Cockburn
National Coach : Chris Thompson

Moderators: PennySharpe, John Dean

Ian Hoolahan

NPPL(M) upgrade on permit aircraft

Post by Ian Hoolahan » Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:58 pm

With the new rules on training on Permit aircraft and an NPPL(M) upgrade now requiring a full course we were wondering if we can use a permit aircraft for this under the new rules, I would say the answer is no but want to be sure on this though I think we can still do an SSEA upgrade.

Brian Hope

Re: NPPL(M) upgrade on permit aircraft

Post by Brian Hope » Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:50 pm

Hi Ian, I'm not sure whether I have got the right end of the stick as far as your query but you can upgrade an NPPL (M) to an NPPL SSEA, without having to do a complete course. And, as it is a Rating and not ab initio training, you could do it in an approved for training PtF aircraft.
Unfortunately there is currently no way you can convert an NPPL (M) to an EASA LAPL or EASA PPL without having to do a full course.

Rgds Brian.

Ian Hoolahan

Post by Ian Hoolahan » Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:11 am

Yes that is what I was after, thanks.

Ian Hoolahan

Post by Ian Hoolahan » Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:35 pm

Well further investigations says that you cant do this, interestingly our inspector gave incorrect reasons, basically saying that it was training so considered commercial operation, in researching to reply though I found that one requirement is the pilot must hold a licence in the same aircraft category (my caps) and that would seem to preclude training the upgrade.