Removal of an NPPL SSEA 'Single seat only' restriction

For full information concerning the Coaching scheme please see the LAA web site.
Chairman of Pilot Coaching Scheme : David Cockburn
National Coach : Chris Thompson

Moderators: PennySharpe, John Dean

Nils Jamieson

Removal of an NPPL SSEA 'Single seat only' restriction

Post by Nils Jamieson » Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:37 pm

Hi,

I am an FI(A) with FCL.945 privileges. I've come across someone with the following:

UK NPPL with SSEA and Microlight ratings. I'm only concerned with the SSEA rating. The gent has done the required hours to revalidate the rating, with the exception of the hour flight with an instructor. Could someone check my understanding now please?

1. I can revalidate the SSEA with a 'single seat only' restriction
2. To remove that restriction, the person concerned will only need an hour 'refresher training' with an FI or examiner, in a non-single seat aircraft.
3. The SSEA rating can then be re-written without the restriction by an 'examiner', using the expiry dates from the original (restricted) revalidation.
4. the 'examiner' can be a PPL Examiner or an FI(A) with FCL.945 privileges

I'd be grateful for any help! Got a cold towel wrapped round my head and I'm still at risk of imploding!

Thanks

Chris Thompson

Re: Removal of an NPPL SSEA 'Single seat only' restriction

Post by Chris Thompson » Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:25 am

I believe you are correct.

CAP804 states:

3.9.1.1 Where the holder has not undertaken the skill test or the flying training specified in b) iii) above a certificate of revalidation may be issued but must be endorsed “single seat
only”

Nils Jamieson

Post by Nils Jamieson » Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:40 am

Thanks for the reply Chris. Have since checked with Jon Cooke - seems 1,2,3 above are indeed correct but the reval can only be signed by an examiner, not an FI with FCL945...

Still a useful way of stopping a revalidation turning into a renewal for anyone who's got the hours but hasn't managed a flight with an FI due to Covid etc.

Chris Thompson

Post by Chris Thompson » Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:45 am

All LAA Coaches are "R" examiners in addition to any FIE.