Tailwheel Conversion Training

For full information concerning the Coaching scheme please see the LAA web site.
Chairman of Pilot Coaching Scheme : David Cockburn
National Coach : Chris Thompson

Moderators: PennySharpe, John Dean

Adam Jones

Tailwheel Conversion Training

Post by Adam Jones » Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:42 am

Just completed my Tailwheel conversion via the LAA Coaching Scheme with Charlie Huke at Old Sarum. The training was excellent and enjoyable.

Hat off to Charlie, he really provided me with the tools to ensure I fly safely and competently. A great coach, who has also offered to follow up with progress flights. Highly recommended.

Many thanks LAA and for all those musing over training, get into the scheme.

Adam
"Gravity is a myth"

timwood61

Post by timwood61 » Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:02 pm

Hi Adam,

I'm interested in getting tailwheel training, but don't have access to a t/w a/c. Did you use your own a/c or one belonging to someone else? Can you provide contact details for Charlie, please?

Thanks....Tim.

Adam Jones

Post by Adam Jones » Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:11 pm

Tim hi,

I used my own and the cost of the training is on the LAA website and is about £150ish. Charlies contact details are also on the LAA website under instructors.
To note I have a half share for sale on Afors for my tailwheel aircaft located in Somerset nr Bridgewater. If you're interested then please ring the number on Afors. It's a nice aircraft to learn the 'craft' on.

Good luck

Adam
"Gravity is a myth"

Adrien Kentzer

Post by Adrien Kentzer » Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:51 pm

I'm halfway through my tailwheel training with Ray Newall from Breighton, Yorkshire way. Really enjoying it and I can thoroughly recommend the LAA coaching scheme. For what you get its 'Cheap as chips' !!! Worth every penny.
Ade

gdbird

Post by gdbird » Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:07 pm

This is an iteresting thread, I will need tailwheel/mono europa training soon in anticipation for my europa completion. Does anyone have any suggestions on that I am based Milton Keynes/ Eaton Bray and have around 550hrs on tri gear. Currently fly a C42
Graeme Bird

Will Greenwood

Post by Will Greenwood » Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:43 pm

Hi Graeme, there are a number of coaches who can do your Europa mono wheel training, look on the main web site and click on coaching.

Will LAA/PCS co-ordinator

FrankTofield

Post by FrankTofield » Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:51 pm

Anyone with a tail wheel and teaching conversions near Blackbushe, North Hampshire? If so...01252 693970

Will Greenwood

Post by Will Greenwood » Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:34 am

Hi Frank, the LAA/PCS offers coaching/instruction to those members which have a share or own there own aircraft, be it tailwheel or nosewheel, we do not hire out aircraft.

Regards Will Greenwood LAA/PCS Co-ordinator

FrankTofield

Tailwheel

Post by FrankTofield » Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:15 pm

Many thanks Will.

cardiffrob

Post by cardiffrob » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:24 pm

Are there any recommendations for someone to approach to get the use of a taildragger plus a coach so that I can get tailwheel experience? Big tarmac runways (at £40-ish per landing) don't appeal so in an ideal world I'd like to get trained in a 2-seater on grass somewhere within driving distance of Cardiff.
I could try somewhere like Clacton but it is a long way off and would require hotelling for several days plus the inevitable cost of paying for the clubhouse etc. I have no objection to paying the same sum of money to an individual, so long as the training met my needs.
Are there any PCS coaches down south-west with their own aircraft that anyone would recommend before I start hitting the list of names on the LAA website?
Cheers
Rob (and G-BMMF)
Rob Thomas

Bouncer

Re: Tailwheel Conversion Training

Post by Bouncer » Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:23 pm

Hi everyone,

Who might be the tail wheel trainer for the Suffolk area? I'm flying out of Beccles, have a great tailwheel Instructor who is helping me but he gets pulled by other places and airfields to instruct so need a back up plan if our dates don't cross as we both hope?

Many thanks in advance for your advice

Rob
Rob Kelvey

Cookie

Post by Cookie » Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:13 pm

Hi Rob,

There is a list of LAA coaches on the LAA website, along with a Google Map. You can also find us using the following short link:

http://www.tinyurl.com/laacoach

You can contact a LAA coach directly for assistance and guidance.

All the best, Cookie
Jon Cooke
Pilot Coaching Scheme Chairman

tnowak

Post by tnowak » Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:57 am

The flying club at Chichester Goodwood say they are getting a Super Cub added to their fleet, according to posters I saw in the clubhouse last month.
May be worth giving them a call to see what they can offer.

Tony Nowak
Tony Nowak