East Midlands LAA Strut May 2024 Meeting

This forum is for the use of Strut members, but also for those interested in the activities of the struts. Find out what Strut events are going on near you

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

TRAZZELL

East Midlands LAA Strut May 2024 Meeting

Post by TRAZZELL » Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:16 pm

Hi Everyone,

As discussed at the April meeting, the next East Midlands LAA Strut meeting will be a workshop visit at my house at 7:30pm on Tuesday 7th May to see the Menestrel project and get a better idea of what is involved in building an aircraft at home. I hope that this will be of some interest to people and inspire a few more projects! My address is 96 Weston Road, Aston on Trent, Derbyshire, DE72 2BA. If you need to contact me, the landline is 01332 792390 and my mobile is 07484 873206.

The nature of a workshop visit means that a hybrid meeting on Zoom won't really work, so for the May meeting, there will be no Zoom session running.
What there will be is an opportunity to have a good look at the various bits of the Menestrel, materials, plans, tools etc., and I will lay on some some liquid refreshments and nibbles. I would like an idea of numbers so could you please let me know if you want to come. I have space for a couple of extra cars on my drive (first come, first served), but others will need to park on the road. Any self organised car sharing/lifts would be great. I would suggest parking on the grass on the other side of the pavement opposite if you can. 

We had a discussion about the threat to Tollerton last month and Kevin Savage has forwarded me a link about a petition to Parliament about changing the designation of airfields from brownfield status (meaning easier to build housing on) to greenfield status (meaning harder to build housing on). I'd urge you to follow the link and sign the petition. It only takes a minute and when I signed it this evening, it was well on the way to the threshold of 10,000 signatures. The link is here: https://flyer.co.uk/petition-launched-t ... eld-sites/

If anyone has a phone number for Richard Hamblin, could you call him and ask him to phone me on 07484 873206 please.

I hope to see at least some of you on Tuesday 7th May. I will organise a separate visit for the Black Magic DH88 Comet team so if you can't make it on the 7th, there will be a further opportunity.

I hope that for the meeting on the 4th June we will be able to have our AGM. As I said last month, please consider standing for one of the three key roles on the committee and engage with developing the East Midlands LAA Strut. I have an offer of a talk about the Rolls-Royce Heritage Trust, so will try to schedule that for our meeting on the 2nd July.

Best regards

Tony Razzell

East Midlands LAA Strut Coordinator
Tony Razzell