Web Strut

This forum is for the use of Strut members, but also for those interested in the activities of the struts. Find out what Strut events are going on near you

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Would you like there to be a Virtual Strut?

Poll ended at Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:46 pm

Yes
78%
No
9%
Not Bothered
13%

Total votes: 32

steveneale

Post by steveneale » Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:29 am

We can't do much really until EC agree.

Nothing heard from the 8th March EC following the NC but they will have had their agenda set as it was the same day as the NC. The next EC is 2nd of May and as it's a NC request the VS should get on that agenda.

Assuming the EC members vote as they did in NC is should go through on the nod.

Re what happens then, that's up the the VS to decide. The first job will be to agree a name. Next based on my experience as Bristol coordinator It will need to vote in a coordinator and NC rep as minimum to comply with strut/affiliate/special case rules (whatever EC decide).

The NC rep goes to NC meetings with comments/ matters for discussion from VS members and feeds back the result as well as what is happening in EASA, HQ and other struts. That person will need to physically go to NC as I don't think they are ready for avatars yet ;)

The coordinator tends to be the channel for members ideas for events or meetings and is the focus for the strut. Some struts have event coordinators as a separate function. He/she will get incoming mail from Penny at HQ. Coords get 2 or 3 email communications a week from her.

The coord will have to communicate this to VS members in some way. In Bristol we have a monthly newsletter. The VS could have a topic within it's forum or VS members could give their email when they register I guess. If we use the forum it will need either to be members only or have a private section as some communications may be LAA internal matters so not for public view.

Part of the request I made at NC was for a "trusted" VS member to be given Admin privileges on this BB. This will allow us to set up and run our area of the BB as we wish. That could be a third person or the coord if they have knowledge of how to do things with this software.

That enough for now Mike? I'm not trying to make up rules just offer ideas.

The whole point of a strut is that it's run as the members wish.

I'm off to bed.

Steve

[edited to fix some waffle. and say:

BTW I can't be coordinator as I have Bristol to look after so 'our leader' won't be me. However I would be willing to stand for NC rep if no one else can get to meetings. I can travel up with the Bristol NC rep.]

mikehallam

Post by mikehallam » Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:14 pm

Thanks for all your input Steve. As you explained someone has to attend in person at Committe meetings.

I for one located in deepest Sussex & not even as a "WebStrut member" am very pleased with your offer to be the physical representation if requested.

I still think that if there are in excess of 20 potential members we ought to be doing more at this stage than wait on you alone, especially as you can't be the strut Co-ordinator.

It's not a secret society and until confidential LAA business info. comes your way I see little against some of these 20+ doing some of the preparatory legwork NOW. I think however, that some potential & willing folk may wish at this stage to continue to use a pseudonym, until whatever confidentaility coding (you mention) is in place.
Actually too secret, and guests may feel unwanted so possibly no great lock-out is called for ? After all e-mails of sensitive data could be sent separately to registered LAA WEB Strut members, or available if they go to a closed site [how ??]. Either way round it's no longer secret as anyone can then copy & paste and redistribute such info. once its sent out, so you need a more comprehensive code of conduct before any such arrangement to reveal 'secrets' is established !

As no real costs for postage, paper or meeting place are involved I imagine we possibly don't need more than a Moderator, a Chairman/Co-ordinator & rep (you sound right Steve ?).
Maybe we'd meet as & when at fly-ins but that could/shouldn't need a special post, unless ................??

May I ask you Steve or the voters themselves to tell this forum what they are able to contribute and also access & copy to draw up or mod. rules etc.

Then I wouldn't worry so much that outside your stalwart efforts no-one's going to come forward.

mikehallam

Post by mikehallam » Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:37 am

:lol: WELL, ???

As nobody reads this section or at least knows it's not worth their supporting I am wondering if the WEB STRUT will be still-born ?

I accept it's only a week since recommending another stage of preparatory activity to back up the efforts already made on our behalf, BUT who are "WE" exactly or even approximately. I for one would appreciate a more lively dialogue. Perhaps it's the Strut ethos to only come to life once a month ?

With the wx being so d****d poor there ought to be plenty of folk with time to write.
:?

ivanmanley

Post by ivanmanley » Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:32 am

I'd like to join but what more is there to say until we know if we can?

I support the idea and as another deepest darkest Sussex dweller the drive across to Shoreham is too much when I have to be up by 1.30am the next day.

Not much else to add really other than "come on EC, lets have an internet strut" :D

Ivan
________
HOW TO GRILL FOOD
Last edited by ivanmanley on Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rob Swain

Post by Rob Swain » Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:13 pm

Maybe having a highly computer-literate CEO will be helpful to our 'cause'.
Rob Swain
If the good Lord had intended man to fly, He would have given him more money.

steveneale

Post by steveneale » Sat Apr 12, 2008 4:30 pm

Hope so. I think it's time is coming anyway albeit 10 years after the rest of the world caught on to the potential. With communication a major problem for LAA and Peter at the helm on a day to day basis perhaps it will happen a bit faster now. While the web site and this BB are one of 100 things Penny has to worry about it will never get developed much. Perhaps the solution would be to farm out both the Website and the BB to volunteer members to run that have time to fettle them properly. The virtual/web strut is an opportunity to try this out on a section of the BB of course.

By the EC meeting it might be nice if there was at least a name for the new strut. National strut was suggested at the NC but that would tick off Welshman et al. Ideas? UK strut?

Jim Gale

Post by Jim Gale » Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:55 pm

EC had a meeting yesterday. Was it on the agenda and if so, the outcome?
Jim.

steveneale

Post by steveneale » Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:58 pm

Dunno Jim. These were the dates I knew about. I've been waiting for 2nd May.

http://www.lightaircraftassociation.co. ... Dates.html

Jim Gale

Post by Jim Gale » Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:10 pm

Steve.
I'll ask if it was discussed.
Jim.

Jim Gale

Post by Jim Gale » Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:21 am

Steve. Apparently not on the agenda, nor raised or discussed at the EC mtg on Friday last. Over to you!
Jim. :(

steveneale

Post by steveneale » Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:24 pm

My fault for taking any notice of the website. I'll see what can be sorted out.

No conspiracy Welshman just c*ck up.

Dave Hall

Post by Dave Hall » Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:53 pm

I can understand controversial things being left out of EC meetings, but I'd hardly say this one was controversial.

It's symptomatic of the interest the EC has in the NC that things like this don't get picked up. After all it was referred to the EC in the NC minutes.

I wonder if anyone on the EC is officially charged with representing NC views to the EC.

steveneale

Unofficial Green light to new strut :)

Post by steveneale » Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:34 pm

I've just exchanged emails with Roger Hopkinson. Roger has given the green light to carry on and set it up unofficially and he will get it ratified at the June EC. Roger mentioned it will be a good opportunity to test the struts viability.

So we need to vote in a Coordinator and NC rep. We will need a name.

We also need someone that is up to speed with PHPBB administration to act as the strut BB administrator. When that person is identified we can go to Penny and get him/her an administrator account. Once that is done with advice from that person we can decide how we structure our part of the BB.

So it's GO! :)

I hope everyone piles in behind this now.

steveneale

Post by steveneale » Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:00 am

Mmmm!

Can I just reiterate that we need a Coordinator and NC rep. Under LAA rules a strut cannot exist without those people in place. I've said I'll do the NC job if no one else can. I'm starting to feel a bit of a chump over this to be honest.