Web Strut

This forum is for the use of Strut members, but also for those interested in the activities of the struts. Find out what Strut events are going on near you

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Would you like there to be a Virtual Strut?

Poll ended at Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:46 pm

Yes
78%
No
9%
Not Bothered
13%

Total votes: 32

Rob Swain

Web Strut

Post by Rob Swain » Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:46 pm

How about a Virtual Strut based around a bulletin board, probably this one?

This idea was raised on the old BB but seeing as that's now been torpedoed I thought I'd open the discussion again here.

I know that the rules as they stand indicate Struts have to be geographically based, but we have the Educational Strut which isn't! If there is enough support from the membership then surely the rule could be changed.

It seems obvious that people regularly using this site do care and want to be an active part of the LAA and it follows would probably like to have an 'official' voice.

As someone who lives in a Strut free area, but has too many commitments to be able to start a new one, I'd join.

In fact, let's have a poll on the subject!
Rob Swain
If the good Lord had intended man to fly, He would have given him more money.

jamie_duff

Post by jamie_duff » Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:50 pm

I too am in a Strut free zone - I feel like I'm missing out :(

steveneale

Post by steveneale » Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:23 pm

I had a chat with Stuart MacConnacher about this over Christmas. Calling it something other than a "strut" would appear to make things simpler within LAA rules.

"Wing" may be a better title. Stuart assures me it could still have the benefits, i.e. a NC seat and top up insurance for events. We at Bristol have just renamed our strut to a wing anyway.

Lets see how the voting goes.

Steve

Tony Harrison-Smith

Post by Tony Harrison-Smith » Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:35 pm

Being very new to the LAA, what would be the benefit of the wing/strut over just a bulletin board?

Tony

steveneale

Post by steveneale » Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:16 pm

Posts made by 2 EC members since my original post in this spot have changed my view on a BB strut. From their comments it is clear they at least consider the BB is not representative of member's views. I have met both persons and know them to be reasonable and hardworking members. But in the face of EC antagonism, further attempts at development of this BB requiring EC buyin will be futile.

Steve
Last edited by steveneale on Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:39 pm, edited 11 times in total.

Rob Swain

Post by Rob Swain » Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:03 pm

'Nearest' is still a flippin' long way in a lot of cases.

Does this mean we will be forced to pay subs to a strut we never make any use of?

Or will the Strut be forced to have a membership list of hundreds of people they never have anything to do with?
Rob Swain
If the good Lord had intended man to fly, He would have given him more money.

jamie_duff

Post by jamie_duff » Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:15 pm

Rob Swain wrote:'Nearest' is still a flippin' long way in a lot of cases.
I don't have the foggiest idea where my "nearest" is. As with the Inspectors, there is only a postcode search and I've tried the postcodes I know which I'd consider to be within reasonable driving distance (say 50 miles / 2hr round trip in the car? Is that unreasonable?)
Does this mean we will be forced to pay subs to a strut we never make any use of?
Just try and make me.... :lol:
Or will the Strut be forced to have a membership list of hundreds of people they never have anything to do with?
Hopefully not... :?

Bill McCarthy

Post by Bill McCarthy » Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:43 pm

There is a list of regional stuts and contacts in every LA magazine (page 54 of the first issue). Jamie, your nearest is perhaps the biggest - on area size - the Highland strut, based at Inverness. It stretches from Shetland to Perth and from the Outer Hebrides to Aberdeen. My round trip is 250 miles or about 6 hours drive overall. I attend whenever possible. Some fly in from the islands. If they are that determined you should have no trouble attending!!

jamie_duff

Post by jamie_duff » Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:49 pm

It would be 6 hours and £55 of petrol round trip for me too.

A web-based strut would be a far more practical solution because I don't think I could afford the time or money to go there for routine meetings in all honesty.

Phil Burgess

Post by Phil Burgess » Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:02 pm

I would welcome the idea of a web based strut as I don't have the time to attend my local one. My case is no where near as bad as some but but time and money spent on the road is not time or money spent building or flying.

My only concearn is the quite negative view that the EC gives to the content of the BB. Could we really expect to be taken seriously?

Nigel Hitchman

Post by Nigel Hitchman » Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:00 pm

I agree with what Harry says, but in a lot of ways the BB already provides these functions without officially being a strut. eg helping each other out with technical problems or information about a fly-in etc. It can also provide some of the social bit in that some of us might meet up at various events.
However, its not exactly the same as going along to the local strut meeting, listening to a speaker and meeting up with your mates and maybe meeting new people who also have similar interests.

However, what perhaps people really want it to be represented and perhaps for that case it would be good to say have a BB rep on the NC who could put forward ideas from the BB and report back to the BB. This might be worthwhile. The person would need to be available for the NC meetings and also available to report back on the BB what was agreed at NC as people now do in the strut newsletters. Given that the BB has much wider viewing than an average strut newsletter and with the ease of commenting or disagreeing in public with what was written, it would be important that the person doing this got the facts exactly right! No good reporting that the NC agreed to do XYZ when that wasnt quite what was agreed, otherwise it could all get out of hand quite quickly, as has been seen on some discussions here, where people havent got the exact facts or have jumped to conclusions!

But we also have to realise that the NC isnt where all the decisions are made and it is mostly a discussion forum that might put some recomendations to the EC and the NC is also expected to take some responsibility and get their strut membership to do things to help/promote etc the LAA.

I agree that the BB isnt really representative of the LAA membership, but then perhaps neither are some struts. However I do think that there can be just as good ideas coming out of the BB as from any strut and also a BB strut could take responsibilities to get some things done, volunteer for tasks etc like any strut.

I guess what we really need is for a few people (or just one) to volunteer to be the BB strut rep on the NC and start to get the ball moving. No im not volunteering!

Brian Hope

Post by Brian Hope » Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:55 pm

"But in the face of EC antagonism, further attempts at development of this BB requiring EC buyin will be futile. "

Steve, I don't think there is antagonism of EC by the BB, I think it is more a case on indifference. I think the BB Strut idea is a good one and should be persued.

Mike Mold

Post by Mike Mold » Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:46 pm

Brian, I agree and from discussions I've had with other EC members I think it will receive support. Harry H: action to include on next NC agenda.
Mike Mold
Jodel D112 G-BHNL
Watchford Farm, Devon
www.devonstrut.co.uk