SSDR rules

For discussion on all aspects of the Single Seat De-Regulated, sub 115kg microlight aircraft category.

Moderator: John Dean

ian herdis

Re: SSDR rules

Post by ian herdis » Tue May 07, 2013 5:04 pm

My concern would be actually getting insurance

Has anyone successfully obtained insurance on a self designed SSDR

Ian.

ColinC

Post by ColinC » Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:22 am

Ian,

That very thought has been bothering me. The current LAA system has a good history and insurers like data. Insurance availability will make or break this perhaps? It could certainly have an impact on a commercial design's viability.

My understanding is that currently the majority of SSDRs are covered by the British Hang-Gliding Association scheme at very low cost. I expect that 3rd Party insurance should be easy enough to get as an important factor in the rationale for de-regulation is the low risk anyone but the pilot isn't it?

It will perhaps not be so easy to insure an expensive hi-tech carbon fibre airframe but that is beyond the concerns of most of us. I guess that is a problem that the manufacturers need to solve or they don't have a product that will sell.

Where this could have a big impact within the LAA (but check me on this) SEE EDIT BELOW[is that the proposal makes all aircraft in that category SSDR]. This is perhaps where we need to remember the 'grass roots' of the LAA and make sure that they are both advised and protected from any impacts such as loss of insurance if that risk exists.

Of course, the removal of part of the fleet from the LAA's liability could be said to beneficial to the organisation's insurance and liability issues.

The guys flying experimental category aircraft in the US do get insurance and they have wider scope than SSDR so hopefully this is just another hurdle to be crossed.

Regards,

Colin

NB: I checked the bit above about all aircraft in that category going into SSDR and I am reliably informed that the proposal would leave existing aircraft as they are. Am afraid I mis-read or got the wrong impression from what I had read!!
Last edited by ColinC on Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Colin Cheese

ian herdis

Post by ian herdis » Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:18 am

Hi, Colin

I think any one operating an approved aircraft which is then de-regulated would still find it easy to get insurance as the aircraft was a design which the LAA had investigated and approved.

I just wonder how they would view a self designed and built aircraft.

Regards, Ian.

Airstripflyer

Post by Airstripflyer » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:21 am

I had no trouble getting insurance for my SSDR Eindecker replica, although admittedly not self designed it is self modified! In fact it costs me nothing as it is added on to the existing insurance for my other aircraft.

Mike Clark

ColinC

Post by ColinC » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:42 am

Hi, hopefully then insurance won't be a problem, but it is something that needs considering as the proposals unfold.

Colin
Colin Cheese