Aircraft Design and the LAA Magazine

Discussion of aircraft design, new designs and designing your own

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Bill McCarthy

Post by Bill McCarthy » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:26 am

I quite often refer to an experimental aircraft website which is quite useful for design and materials sections. If you google "pilotfriend.com" it should take you there.

Charles Scott

Post by Charles Scott » Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:01 pm

Nick Allen wrote: I'm not sure that's the only business model that works. Take your Thatcher, for example: Thatcher has sold to date 454 sets of plans @ $360 apiece = $163,440. That's really not bad -- he could have afforded a stress engineer out of that! :D
Even with the volumes that the Thatcher designs have sold, there is barely enough income to call this a full time job, let alone pay for a stress engineer or make an actual profit. He's made that money over 7 years so that's $23,350 a year. He's now in his late 70's so he was probably already financially sound and not relying on the income to feed the family.

Selling plans is probably a good way to supplement a pension, but even at US volumes it looks like a "get poor quick" scheme rather than a viable business model.

Rob Swain

Post by Rob Swain » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:41 pm

Charles Scott wrote:He's made that money over 7 years so that's $23,350 a year.
Point taken about not being a good basis for a business but it's a fantastic return on a hobby!
Rob Swain
If the good Lord had intended man to fly, He would have given him more money.

Hamish Mead

The Corby Starlet and Kestrel - Design background

Post by Hamish Mead » Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:45 pm

I just discovered an interesting article written by John Corby, designer of the CJ-1 Starlet and CM-2 Kestrel. It was published in SAANZ's magazine, Sport Flying earlier this year. It would be great to see it reprinted in Light Aviation for the benefit of a wider audience.

In the meantime you can download a pdf version of it from the SAANZ website here:
The Corby Starlet and Kestrel - Design background - by John Corby - Sport Flying Autumn 2011

Enjoy!