Steen Skybolt 3 piece Wing

Discussion of aircraft design, new designs and designing your own

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Mike Freeman

Steen Skybolt 3 piece Wing

Post by Mike Freeman » Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:45 am

Hi

I am in the process of deciding which aircraft to build and the Skybolt was one of my options that I ruled out due to the one piece wing and the space needed.

There is a 'D' version that uses a 3 piece wing. The LAA datasheet however says this cannot be built.

Does anyone know why this is or know anything about the Skybolt and could shed some light on it? If I could build the 3 piece version I probably would go with the Skybolt.

Regards

Nigel Kerr

Re: Steen Skybolt 3 piece Wing

Post by Nigel Kerr » Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:02 pm

Did you ever receive a response? I have just shortlisted the 'D'.

Brian Hope

Post by Brian Hope » Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:31 am

It has been said on another post already but if you are coming to the Rally this weekend, the Engineering team will be present and you can ask them about the Skybolt. Alternatively, Richard Teverson has built a Skybolt and a modified version (his own design) called the Bisport so undoubtedly knows a lot about them. I don't have his contact details but he operates Waits Farm airstrip. It would be worth having a chat with him.

Nigel Kerr

Post by Nigel Kerr » Tue Aug 30, 2016 12:11 pm

Thanks Brian, it was my intention to try and get to the rally on Saturday (weather permitting - motorcycle), I hope I might get a minute with someone on the engineering team about the Skybolt (and / or another).

(Nice to hear from you btw. We haven't communicated since you suggested I send a few photos I took to the 'PFA' some years ago for inclusion in 'Flyer' - I was delighted to see 15 of them published in 2 magazines - my highest 'hit rate' ever).

Best regards
Nigel

Mike Freeman

Post by Mike Freeman » Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:49 pm

Hi

I didn't proceed with the Skybolt. I had a few designs in mind staring with the Flitzer (Too small for me unfortunately) Skybolt and Mustang but settled on an RV7.

I may build from plans next but for now I am very glad that I chose a kit with lots of other builder resources and advice available for my first project.

Regards

Mike

Nigel Kerr

Post by Nigel Kerr » Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:35 pm

Hi Mike,

Thanks for replying, it is interesting to see the choices people make and how they differ from original thoughts, for whatever reason.

Nigel