Bob Barrows `bearhawk`??

Discussion of aircraft design, new designs and designing your own

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

nuggets

Bob Barrows `bearhawk`??

Post by nuggets » Mon May 09, 2016 10:24 pm

So ....... can anyone from the engineering `authority` tell me why it is not `fit too fly in england`s sky`s ???

????
Paul Dennington

ColinC

Re: Bob Barrows `bearhawk`??

Post by ColinC » Tue May 10, 2016 9:39 am

Hi,

Are you saying that approval has been refused, or questioning why it isn't on the approved list?

Usually lack of approval isn't a case of why it isn't fit, simply that it hasn't been assessed because no one has asked.

I am not sure that you will get a response about this on the forum as I don't think Engineering formally monitor messages posted here. A few issues ago an article(s) in Light Aviation detailed a number of designs that were under consideration, was the Bearhawk mentioned there?

An email, letter or phone call direct to the Engineering team is more likely to get a considered response.

If you haven't read them, these documents describe the process:

http://www.lightaircraftassociation.co. ... esigns.pdf

http://www.lightaircraftassociation.co. ... %20USA.pdf

regards

Colin
Colin Cheese

Brian Hope

Post by Brian Hope » Tue May 10, 2016 10:01 am

The Bearhawk was one of the designs that was mentioned in Francis Donaldson's piece in the February 2016 magazine about new designs coming through the system. On approval he wrote:

Progress in clearing the design through the LAA has been slow because of the absence of stressing information from the kit manufacturer to address issues raised about the structural design. To make up this shortfall an LAA member, keen to build the type, is now seeking to get the design stressed in detail retrospectively by a respected consultant stress engineer. If this works out as planned we look forward to seeing this very promising and useful aeroplane progress to the next stage in due course.

Perhaps Paul, if you want to build a Bearhawk, you could ask Engineering if the situation remains the same and if it doe, contact the member who is dealing with the stressing and offer to help, either practically or financially.

Jeremy Liber

Post by Jeremy Liber » Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:57 pm

Not sure the whinging tone is going to get you very far though...

Nigel Kerr

Post by Nigel Kerr » Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:14 pm

I think the Rans 20 might beat it to acceptance the speed this thread is going...