Bungee Undercarriage Alternative

Discussion of aircraft design, new designs and designing your own

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Sean McDonald

Bungee Undercarriage Alternative

Post by Sean McDonald » Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:24 pm

I posted the below in Sales and Wants but may be better here if anyone can help?

Can anyone please point me to someone who supplies and preferably makes bespoke bungee cord lengths for undercarriage use? 450kg MAUW taildragger. Currently one single length wrapped several times round the spigots on the undercarriage strut. Would prefer individual rings with 4 or 6 on each leg if soemone makes them.
I have had some from one UK aviation supplier who shall remain nameless which were very expensive and have lasted barely 18 months of light use so looking for alternative ideas.

OR

Anyone who could make something in this picture to replace the bungee struts. This is an American aircraft. Would like a UK maker if there is one or a pointer to someone who might know a source.

http://www.homebuiltairplanes.com/forum ... 1495882475

Thank you

NickChittenden

Re: Bungee Undercarriage Alternative

Post by NickChittenden » Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:47 am

There is some information on William Wynne's flycorvair.net site about making new undercarriage for a Pietenpol Aircamper, he uses industrial die springs in a similar set up to that shown in your photograph. You should be able to search the site, it's full of all manner of interesting stuff.

I might suggest Julian Mills (an LAA member, CAA approved welder and an excellent engineer to boot) might be able to assist in making undercarriage parts for you.

Sean McDonald

Re: Bungee Undercarriage Alternative

Post by Sean McDonald » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:17 am

Thanks Nick. Just picked up this reply as on holiday for the last few weeks. In Cornwall as it happens which I see is your location!
I've had some interesting conversations about the undercarriage idea. Probably one for the winter now.