Replacing a Single Ignition 503 with a Dual Ignition 503

Discussion of aircraft design, new designs and designing your own

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

shadow56

Replacing a Single Ignition 503 with a Dual Ignition 503

Post by shadow56 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:04 pm

Hello, I've just bought a Shadow with a single ignition set up and also a Dual Ignition replacement engine.
As I am new to all this but understand engine basics I am looking for help to understand what I need to do.
Ideally from someone who has done this to their aircraft. Any pics or diagrams will help, please?
In Hope???
Joe Roberts

mikehallam

Re: Replacing a Single Ignition 503 with a Dual Ignition 503

Post by mikehallam » Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:17 pm

a) If the single ignition 503 is working well, why not stick with it for a while ?
b) If you really don't know muchabout these things & still wish to change the engine it's far better to consult with your (LAA) Inspector, who will offer sage advice.

mikehallam

Re: Replacing a Single Ignition 503 with a Dual Ignition 503

Post by mikehallam » Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:14 pm

To both Paul & Tom - or anyone else.

Who has an inkling re Rans washout: what do Rans suggest and quite how/where these above mentioned "spacers" apply ?

There's another & rather ancient Rans USA directive which is little known forthe fixed tail-plane angle, requiring minus one degree compared with the underside of the winy.

Certainly on my -116 the tail-plane needed adjusting beyond what the two holes on the tail=plane's leading edge could give. A new hole position was assessed using spirit levels and 1 in 60 packers to mark where to drill the Ali and rebolt on.
Since then the bungee trim has managed very well, plus an( imagined ?) high speed cruise gain of a very few mph, simply from not having the elevator and tail-plane misaligned and fighting the air in opposition.

However back to the washout question ??

mike hallam