Avid Speedwing

Discussion of aircraft design, new designs and designing your own

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

gordonquinn

Avid Speedwing

Post by gordonquinn » Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:09 pm

Hello!

First post on the forum.

I have been looking for an aircraft for myself for a while and have considered many types but this one caught my eye as I thought it might suit.

https://afors.com/aircraftView/48725

The ad is for a 50% share but after a chat with the owner they have said they would consider selling it as a whole.

Currently I have a share in a PA28 in a large group so I always have the option for carrying extra passengers but I'd love to have something of my own that I can fly for a 1/3 of the price. The Avid looks a simple aircraft that I'm hoping I can hop around the UK in, building experience and hours.

In terms of experience, I have about 110 hours (about 80 on a PA28 and 30 on an Ikarus C42).

So I am wondering what this aircraft is like to fly? Is it cramped? I'm 5'11" and 80KG, ideally I'd like to be able to take my wife and some light baggage for some overnight trips now and again, with a few hours fuel. Also in terms of maintenance, are parts difficult to come by?

I suppose overall, I need to know if there are any major issues with the type that I should know of!

Thanks
G
Gordon Quinn

Andy Kennedy

Re: Avid Speedwing

Post by Andy Kennedy » Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:37 pm

Hi Gordon,

We spoke a while back about a Pulsar, anyway regarding the Avid, I've never flown one, but it has a Jabiru engine so it will be relatively maintenance intensive. How handy are you with the spanners?
I'd also be looking to check for corrosion on the frame (especially at the back) and how much life the fabric has left in it.

Also do you have somewhere to hangar it? Its steel and fabric so it'll need to live under cover.

Cheers