Aircraft 'Painting'?

Discussion of aircraft design, new designs and designing your own

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

leckers

Aircraft 'Painting'?

Post by leckers » Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:05 pm

Good day to all -
I have just been reading an article on the USA Glasair website regarding 'wrapping' an aircraft in vinyl, rather than using 'paint'. The photo results look stunning, and the author reports that the vinyl should last at least 10 years if a/c is hangared, and 3-4 years if outside. As this covering is used on large passenger airliners, and is a quarter the price of a good 'paint-job', and considerably quicker accomplished, I am interested in any feedback or comments from any member who might have already gone this route, or made any 'in-depth' enquiries? 3M certainly has the vinyl in the UK along with virtually any colour one might want.
Anyone know of any restrictions or regulations imposed by the UK authorities?
Thanks - Ian
Ian Leckenby

Ian Melville

Re: Aircraft 'Painting'?

Post by Ian Melville » Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:04 pm

You still need to have a near perfect finish to lay the wrap on. I somehow doubt it is a quater of a good paint job when that is taken into consideration.
I have no experiance myself, but there have been a quite a few light aircraft done from reports in the press.
Ian Melville

leckers

Post by leckers » Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:59 pm

Thanks Ian -
I am certain there's a lot of 'prep' required before sticking the vinyl om, but that would be the same anyway. It's the actual difference in cost/time that might make it attractive. I was just wondering if there were any LAA/CAA regs regarding this process.....
Ian
Ian Leckenby

Mike Freeman

Post by Mike Freeman » Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:15 pm

I've pretty much decided i'll be going down this route with my RV.

It will be painted white all over with other colours and designs added by wrapping. I'll possibly get it done by a local painter in the white before it's assembled. It would be nice to get it done as I build but I need to make sure the white will all match match.

leckers

Post by leckers » Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:29 pm

Hi Mike -
Thanks for your mail. Have you done anything about obtaining a quote for the 'wrap' work, and who you might use?
Ian
Ian Leckenby

Mike Freeman

Post by Mike Freeman » Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:48 pm

Not yet no, i'm a long way off finishing at the moment. I've seen enough of them in the USA to know it is feasible though. I might even have a bash at it myself. Whats the worst that can happen? There are lots of youtube videos and courses showing the process on cars which seem much more difficult with all the tight corners. I think once you got the hang of it an aircraft would be quite easy.

The issue I had was wanting to get the parts painted so they will be better protected when in storage. It would be difficult to do that, and paint them as they are built, with any kind of pattern that needs matching up. By having them all white and the wrap applied later it would seem to solve that.

There would also be no rush to get it painted once it was finished as I could do the test flying etc. in the white and worry about the graphics later. Any changes to the scheme could just be done with the wrap over the white.

leckers

Post by leckers » Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:58 pm

All sounds good! I am planning on doing my flight test routine before painting/wrapping - I suspect I will have some 'tweaks' to sort out and would hate to spoil a decent paint job.
Ian Leckenby