Fabric wing covering

Discussion of aircraft design, new designs and designing your own

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

lauriehurman

Fabric wing covering

Post by lauriehurman » Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:52 am

Hi All
There is lots of information out there about the craft of covering your wing with various different materials.
I can find nothing at all which would enable me to find out how strong that fabric needs to be. For example; why not just wrap it in Clingfilm? Well obviously it's not strong enough - but how do we know how strong it needs to be?
How far apart should I place the ribs? Is there a formula? I started my enquiries thinking that the fabric transmitted loads to the ribs and the ribs to the spars - but my analysis so far leads me to think that this is not true.
Does anyone have any book or weblink suggestions which wills shead light on this problem?
Thanks
Laurie

tnowak

Re: Fabric wing covering

Post by tnowak » Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:18 am

Laurie,

May not be what you are looking for but Google for AC_43.13-1B which is the "FAA ACCEPTABLE METHODS, TECHNIQUES, AND PRACTICES, INSPECTION AND REPAIR - AIRCRAFT".

Section 2 is about aircraft fabric and gives specs for different fabrics based on wing loading etc.

Tony
Tony Nowak

lauriehurman

Re: Fabric wing covering

Post by lauriehurman » Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:23 pm

Wow!
Thank you Tony. That'll keep me in reading for the rest of lockdown :-)

As you say, not exactly the thing but a lot of answers to question I hadn't even thought to ask.
Laurie