Andover Strut Fly-In 11/12 July

Flying somewhere? Want to meet up? Let us know!

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Bob the Pilot

Andover Strut Fly-In 11/12 July

Post by Bob the Pilot » Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:25 pm

The weekend of July 11th/12th sees the Andover Strut Fly-In at Popham airfield. Billed by the LAA as the Southern Regional Rally everybody is welcome to attend either by air or by road. A small charge, £2, will be made for arrivals by road with a donation being made to the Hampshire Air Ambulance. No landing fees will be charged, but donations, as above, will be welcomed.

Visitors are welcome to camp overnight and there will be a bbq and evening entertainment on the Saturday evening. Please note that no alcohol will be available on Saturday evening – but feel free to bring your own.

Hopefully the weather will be kinder to us this year than in the previous 2 years – so hope to see you all there for a good turnout.

ChrisS

Post by ChrisS » Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:59 pm

Planning to go along to this, by road :(, as I fly from Blackbushe but live in Basingstoke.

Looking forward to it, I am a new PPL (just over a year) and new to the LAA.

Hopefully meet some of you there, I'm trying to figure how I can get more involved (which strut?) & I want to get myself an LAA type, something like a Jodel, but finding a hangar seems to be far harder than finding an aircraft!

Chris

Brian Hope

Post by Brian Hope » Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:34 pm

Hi Chris, if you're flying out of Blackbush then you're not a million miles from the Royal Berkshire Strut, which meets at the West London Aero Club, White Waltham airfield. Contact: Mike Clews on 07775 847 914 eMail: [email protected]
Royal Berks is an active Strut and there will be many people there who can help you with information about buying and operating your first aircraft. Places at airfields and strips are difficult to find, and often it's a case of being introduced to a strip owner by somebody already based there, another reason for getting to know people via the Strut.
There are past magazine articles on owning and operating a Jodel, and on getting into aircraft ownership. Send me a pm if you're interested and I'll dig out which issues they were in, they will either be available as magazines or copies from HQ.
Good luck.

Rod1

Post by Rod1 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:52 pm

Hi Chris,

Welcome!

Brian is a Jodel owner and knows a lot about them. I hope to make it to Popham, so if you let me have a PM with your contact details I will stay in touch. I do not have a Jodel, but I have flown several.

Rod1

PS Very illustrious surname, any relation?

ChrisS

Post by ChrisS » Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:53 pm

Hi Brian,
Thanks for the reply :)

I'm sort of between the Andover & the West Berks Struts (I think). Living In Basingstoke I am pretty much equi-distant (by road) from Popham, Blackbushe & Brimpton.

At the moment I am in a zero-equity group, but am fortunate that I could buy something, or a share. I've never been in anything other than a 'spam can' and this will be my first 'fly in'... even if I will go by road. I am very much looking forward to it, but have no idea what to expect.

Will drop you a pm about articles :)

Chris

Frank Parker

Post by Frank Parker » Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:55 pm

Brian's reference to the Royal Berkshire Strut meeting at White Waltham produced a nostalgic moment for me, so I went to the LAA home page to look up the strut details. If there is information there relating to individual struts it is very well hidden! I would have expected to see a list, but the only way to access the information appears to be to fill in a questionaire with a postal code. That is not very useful if you want information on a strut far from home. How is information on the struts disseminated if not on the home page? The "Struts around the UK" section should give more publicity to and information on these valuable organisations.

Frank Parker

ian herdis

Post by ian herdis » Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:42 pm

Hi, Frank

If you just clik on `search by post code` it will produce an A-Z list you dont have to enter search info

Ian Herdis

Nigel Hitchman

Post by Nigel Hitchman » Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:25 pm

I hope to be there weather permitting in G-BZRV or G-BVAF, hope there will be a good turnout.
However, I wonder why the event seems to be low key, not even mentioned in the latest magazine (except calendar), when you would have thought there would have been some promotion and information.Not blaming Brian, surely HQ/Strut should have been getting together to ensure it was well publicised.
However the "fly-in news" did seem particularly irrelevant considering this and other LAA fly-ins on. There mentioned were:
-Elstree (already happened by the time many got the magazine)
-Cholmondeley pagent of power where you cant even fly in except by helicopter and the theme doesnt seem to be much to do with LAA types- but there was a big advert in Loop, so thats probably why its there!
- Compton Abbas French connection fly-in- with a small picture of that popular French aircraft a PA-28!

Shouldnt we be promoting LAA events here, such as Popham and other strut fly-ins such as Boxted or Dornoch and the LAA event at Shuttleworth, which also doesnt get a mention!

tnowak

Post by tnowak » Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:37 am

Hangarage will always be an issue in the south. Have you looked on the notice board at Popham to see what shares are currently available? That may be a first step to experiencing "LAA" type flying as aircraft and hangarage already exist. The Popham Vagabond group usually has a share available. They also have a Tripacer and something else. Classic Pipers would be a good alternative to Jodels!
Tony Nowak

Bob the Pilot

Post by Bob the Pilot » Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:41 pm

Just to bring you all up-to-date.

The Fly-In went ahead on the 11th and 12th July. Despite being a wash-out on the Saturday, when even the sparrows stayed on the ground, a good chat was had with the few stalwarts who arrived by road. The outdoor bbq planned for Saturday evening turned into a hot Fish 'n Chip supper indoors followed by discussing the merits, or otherwise, of a certain Scottish product.

Sunday dawned much brighter with a gusting breeze and it was not long before the first arrivals appeared on finals. Not overly busy, but enough to keep interest alive we had in excess of 40 visitors coupled with the Popham residents. More road visitors made the airfield look busy - but it could have taken more. The rain reappeared mid-afternoon and the field was all but empty by 1630. The end of another Fly-In.

Many thanks to all those who made the effort to attend and made contributions to the Struts 'Charity of Choice', the Hampshire Air Ambulance which will be better off by over £300 soon.

Bob Howarth