Stauning

Flying somewhere? Want to meet up? Let us know!

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

tugwilsons

Stauning

Post by tugwilsons » Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:48 am

I am toying with the idea of flying to the rally at Stauning in Scandanavia. Has anyone been or planning to go?
Would I need permission for Belgium or Germany in a permit aircraft?
Any advice would be welcome.
regards
Tug

Brian Hope

Post by Brian Hope » Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:53 pm

Hi Tug, as nobody with more recent experience than I of the event has answered I will. It's a few years since I went to Stauning, nice event but the food was awful - Indonesian or something, and nothing else available. Too far from a decent restaurant too. Home of the KZ museum so many KZ types at the eventthat you won't have seen before. Well supported and cheap fuel in Denmark. As I recall we went Midden Zeeland, Hoogeveen (both in Netherlands), Tonder (just over the Danish border from Germany) and Stauning in about five and a half hours from Kent by Jodel. No problem with France Holland or Denmark. I wouldn't route to land in Belgium so I'll leave it to you imagination what I would do about seeking permission and paying 80 Euros to use the piece of God's air above the coastline up past Ostend. Technically you are in Belgian airspace and should get the permission.

Nigel Hitchman

Post by Nigel Hitchman » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:58 am

I went to Stauning 3 years ago, great event, lots of interest to see and a good museum on site. Although its advertised as a 4 day event, it is really mostly a Saturday fly-in with some arrivals Friday and quite a few staying Sat nite to depart Sunday morning.
As Brian says, the food on the Saturday night is usually awful! Cant say Ive had Indonesian, its always been traditional Danish. During the day there is better food. Fuel isnt so cheap any more either, like Sweden, they now have VAT on their fuel which they didnt before. No problems flying in Germany or Denmark (or any Scandanavian Countries). Brian has already mentioned the problem of Belgium, but there is also a problem with holland. Im not sure of the current status of their Mode S Fiasco, it was compulsory, but then it became compulsory to turn it off! From experience of people flying there last year, it sees mode C is Ok now or no transponder if you stay below 1200ft.
The other problem is their ELT requirement, again a bit ambiguous whether you really need it or not but what is certain is if you do, then a PLB doesnt count. According to Dutch pilots Ive spoken to, the important thing is to tick the ELT box on the flightplan, whether you have one in the aircraft or not.

ChampChump

Post by ChampChump » Sun May 15, 2011 8:45 pm

Agree with all the above although when we went in '05 the "famous Stauning pot" was a casserole-stewy dish, which was all right.

Atmosphere and welcome were good, the hangar meal held in the style of French rassemblements, although perhaps one shouldn't compare cuisine.

I believe the 20kt + winds in Denmark are the norm rather than the exception. We had a fair trek north, via Tonder, where we stayed overnight. Same route as Brian described.

We could, theoretically, go again this year, but plans are fluid.
Nic Orchard