Lee on Solent 9 July 2011

Flying somewhere? Want to meet up? Let us know!

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Mike Cross
Site Admin

Lee on Solent 9 July 2011

Post by Mike Cross » Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:01 am

Many of you will have followed the saga of Lee on Solent, formerly HMS Daedalus. After sale of the site to the Maritime & Coastguard Agency (MCA) and South East England Development Agency (SEEDA) the runway came under the control of Hampshire Constabulary, who tried to thow all civilian users off the field. A concerted legal challenge financed by members of Lee Flying Association reversed the decision and resulted in huge changes.

Hampshire Constabulary are now no longer in control and their onerous requirements are gone. The site is now under the control of Britten-Norman and visitors are welcome. No need for PPR or to fax in your insurance details, just call up Lee Radio on 118.925.

While B-N have plans for a clubhouse style cafe at the former naval Watch Office they are just plans. Lee Flying Assocication are however holding a fly-in on 9 July with catering so that would be a good day to fly in and see what Lee has to offer. We have 1100 metres of tarmac, right by the sea, and hangarage and tie-downs are available as well as a resident flying school and aircraft hire. AVGAS and AVTUR are available on site. It's a great place to base an aircraft, cloud over the hills is no problem when you're by the beach and we never get waterlogged.

Details of the fly-in can be found on The LFA Website Please revisit that site nearer the date for more details of what's available. At the moment it looks as though you will be able to visit the Hovercraft Museum which is on site and a vintage bus will provide a shuttle service. You'll also be able to visit the beach and of course the attractions round Portsmouth Harbour are easily within reach. A short taxi ride will get you to the Gosport Ferry, outlet shopping at Gunwharf and the Historic Dockyard while on the Gosport side you have the Submarine Museum and the Museum of Naval Firepower.

We hope to see you on the 9th!

Mike

Mike Cross
Site Admin

Post by Mike Cross » Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:35 am

Update

Power circuits are to the northwest, glider circuits to the south-east, i.e. 23 RH and 05 LH. If you have houses under you you're in the wrong place, downwind leg is over open country. Circuit Height is 1000 ft a/d is 32ft amsl.

118.925 c/s Lee Radio is operated by Britten-Norman who now operate the field. They will co-ordinate movements with the Gliding Club ("Glider Base")

By local agreement there is no requirement to speak to Fleetlands providing you are arriving/departing LoS and remain west of the disused railway line that runs down the Gosport peninsula.

Follow a/g instructions re parking, we will have marshallers on hand.

AVGAS will be available and is low-cost compared with other fields, no cards but cheques or cash are fine. AVTUR can be made available from Atlas Helicopters by prior arrangement.

Please don't bust Solent zone or the Fleetlands Zone east of the disused railway line.

I'll be mowing the grass for you this weekend. If you're interested in basing an aircraft at Lee ask for me or Jon Butts and we'll let you know what's available.

If you have an interesting aircraft you'd like to display we can park you at Hangar B rather than in the main parking area, drop me a PM if interested. We'll be trying to minimise movements in this area as there will be public access.

Gliding is likely to be taking place, they will be operating from grass to the south of the runway. We'll have a grass runway to the north of the hard available for powered a/c.

Your cut-out-and-keep guide to flying in can be downloaded from this page.

Mike Cross
Site Admin

Post by Mike Cross » Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:45 am

Thanks to those who came in to see Lee. We had over 50 visiting aircraft and surprised the caterers with numbers, apologies for the wait at times.

A really BIG thank you for taking care to remain clear of Solent airspace, it's only 3nm away. I spoke to them yesterday evening on my way back to Popham and they were very happy, zero infringements and a relaxed day for them despite the level of traffic.