VW Engines

The place to raise issues, ask questions, swap ideas and discuss anything related to aircraft engineering, maintenance and building.
NB Any opinions expressed in this forum are not necessarily those of LAA Engineering

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

cholmondeley

VW Engines

Post by cholmondeley » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:03 am

Apologies if this has already been covered but I'm trying to locate someone knowlegeable on VW to guide me on the restoration of an aero engine of unknown history. I am in the Portsmouth Winchester area. NOT Deltair please!!

Thanks

cardiffrob

Post by cardiffrob » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:53 am

Deri Gardner is a VW-aero expert but is just north of Cardiff. He is a PFA inspector. Any good?

Failing that, I travel to Poole quite a lot and have done a few engines. I'm not the expert on them but may be able to help.

Rob
01446 795 489
Rob Thomas

JohnLindsay

Post by JohnLindsay » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:52 pm

Some bedtime reading that you might find helpful is the "VW Aero Assembly Manual" available from Great Plains in the US for around $10 plus postage - www.greatplainsas.com/pg8.html. Although it includes info on a Great Plains beefed up front crankshaft bearing modification, the majority of the manual covers in great detail the build of a standard VW engine with all the checks and measurements to make along the way. Well worth the money in my opinion. Good luck.

John.

Noel Howard

Post by Noel Howard » Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:20 pm

I live in Medstead near Alton and have some experience with VW conversion and maintenance. My phone number is 01420 565 993 if you would like to talk to me.

Noel.

Rob Swain

Post by Rob Swain » Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:21 pm

A useful, albeit car-oriented, book is "How to Rebuild Your Volkswagen Air-cooled Engine".

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rebuild-Your-Vo ... rhf_shvl_2

I read this cover to cover, as well as the Great Plains manual John has already mentioned, before I tackled the rebuild of the VW in G-BAPP.
It has useful info on all the factory built versions of the engine and advice on larger barrels (and their compression ratios) etc. which is useful when dealing with 1834cc VW conversions often used in permit aircraft.

If you have any specific questions then send me a PM and I'll send you my phone number or maybe I could fly down - it'd be a nice trip out after all.

What's the aircraft? What cc is the VW? Come on, you've piqued our curiosity now!
Rob Swain
If the good Lord had intended man to fly, He would have given him more money.