Best paint for wooden prop

The place to raise issues, ask questions, swap ideas and discuss anything related to aircraft engineering, maintenance and building.
NB Any opinions expressed in this forum are not necessarily those of LAA Engineering

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Terry Lee

Best paint for wooden prop

Post by Terry Lee » Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:48 pm

I am considering respraying my hoffman prop it has become a bit tatty, though there are remarkably few dings etc. It is currently finished in the low gloss sheen black.

can anyone recommend a good durable lasting paint type, It has been suggested that I use a satin cellulose but I'm not sure of it's durability! Advice from anyone who has done this would be gratefully received.

Ian Melville

Post by Ian Melville » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:16 pm

What ever you do make sure the paints are compatable. If you spray cellulose on an enamel finish, there will be tears before bed time.

Can you still get cellulose paint anyway? I thought it was to become a banned substance.

ColinC

Post by ColinC » Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:40 am

You might want to chat with Ken Fern, he doesn't make many props these days but does maintain quite a number and would have a good idea what to use.

His web site has his contact details: http://www.kenfern.com/ and he does post her sometimes.

Do you have the means to balance the prop after you have painted it?
Colin Cheese

Terry Lee

Post by Terry Lee » Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:54 pm

Colin / Ian, thanks for the information. Yes I had considered the balencing.
I'm unsure what the existing paint type is, maybe ken will shed some light if he is familiar with Hoffman props.

I believe Cellulose has now become 1K, it smells the same and is thinned with cellulose thinner.

Nick Allen

Post by Nick Allen » Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:02 am

You could always try asking Mike Barnett at Skycraft, the UK Hoffmann agents, what he would recommend. (Contact details on the Hoffmann website: http://www.hoffmann-prop.com/index.php?id=11)

Dave Hall

Post by Dave Hall » Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:30 am

There's a lot to be said for leaving the wood varnished. It's much easier to spot structural problems developing, and I think it looks better too. Maybe have yellow tips to show up the arc better.

Gary T

Post by Gary T » Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:28 pm

My shadow has a black wood prop with yellow tips. I use Halford spraycans - satin black and Ford signal yellow. Looks very good, easy to apply and dries quickly. Unless your prop is grossly out of balance, you can achieve a good result by simply varying the length of prop tape per blade, or if you wish by spraying the tips with additional coats of paint.
regards

Gary Taylor

Terry Lee

Post by Terry Lee » Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:03 pm

Umm, Gary, had considered doing something like that,but how durable and long lasting would cellulose spray can paint be?

I emailed Michael Barnett at Skycraft, who was very helpful and told me they use a specially formulated 2 pack paint on the Hoffmann props, by that I guess the mix has plasticiser added so it retains a bit of flexibility.

Thanks all for your suggestions.

Gary T

Post by Gary T » Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:21 pm

Its been pretty good for me but my prop's fitted to a low powered (38hp) engine. Not sure what it'd be like in heavy rain or similar - not put it to the test :-)
regards

Gary Taylor

bertdeleporte

Post by bertdeleporte » Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:39 pm

Hi Terry, Hi all,

I work in shipbuilding industry. If you want a durable varnish, you can have a look on the marine two-parts systems. You can find for instance very good polyurethane varnishes. They are proven water/UV/salt resistant, with excellent wear behaviour. Yon can get them matt, satin or hi-gloss.

Whatever the previous system is, you can get a solid support from your local shipshandler: they are used to supply advice or support on how to use and how to prepare surface (80% of success is in surface prep...). They will also be very keen on telling you chimical compatibility.

The leader brands are International, Jotun, Hempel.

Come back to me if you need further advice.

Cheers,

Bertrand