How much !

The place to raise issues, ask questions, swap ideas and discuss anything related to aircraft engineering, maintenance and building.
NB Any opinions expressed in this forum are not necessarily those of LAA Engineering

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Brian Hope

Post by Brian Hope » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:12 am

If it makes you feel safer Nigel, instead of the tea and biscuits your inspector might ask for, give him £500 instead. I'm sure that will guarantee he's a good'un.
I find your views rather odd re inspectors. LAA Engineering (and the CAA) audits its inspectors, holds training events around the country and at Turweston to keep them up to speed on developments, and takes very seriously any complaints or comments from members who might feel an inspector has acted incorrectly. That the system works is evident by the excellent safety record of LAA permit aircraft.
LAA provides the means for you to build and fly your own aircraft as inexpensively as possible but at some point in the game you have to take responsibility for your own actions. Use your own judgement and commonsense to decide whether a particular inspector is the type of guy you are happy to work with, if he isn't then contact a different one.

Oh, nearly forgot the list.
Rover 216 -knackered but I just love the tremendous power when I run it around Brands. CZ 175 - pops wheelies on the merest whiff of throttle. Mirror dinghy - must get around to splicing the mainbrace, and Vespa scooter - does 110 in second, honest!

nigel henry

lol Rover 214 great car till the head gasket goes

Post by nigel henry » Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:57 am

Safe is not flying or ... safer is not flying. And yes In control of your plane project is so important and.... as is your inspector. And you are right you decide if you fly it or not.

It gets back to old or bold pilots !

Over the years I have flown with both, some are not with us now. 9 and now 10 as of 3 weeks ago ! GA pilots. Seldom is it the machine, more skills or not, overconfidence or lack of it, it's a fine line to fly, and none over the years were flying PFA LAA aircraft!A testament in it's self I think.

...... as for the Vespa heap of Poo! and does not go round corners and even a Vespa SS 180 was only good for 75 Now a good Lambretta Sx 225 might make 85ish CZ mmmmm never sold one or ridden one Knowingly! Mirror Dinghy lol I remember them building one on Blue Peter.
Loved the Rover x But the Version with the Honda engine was an animal ! but perhaps i'm talking a load of old 214's

Trevor Harvey

Post by Trevor Harvey » Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:45 pm

Nigel.
You have the wrong attitude for a Permit system / LAA aicraft ownership.
What you seem to want is a rigid scale of charges that you can look at & know how much it is going to cost to the letter.
If such a system were in place it would use the HIGHEST common denominator.
If your inspector is willing to drive a round trip of 100 miles to sit under your engine with the prop running at 1200rpm a few inches behind him, in February, as he tunes your carburettor, as mine did once, for the love of god appreciate what he is doing, pay what he asks & stop griping.

G-AWMN

How Much?

Post by G-AWMN » Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:14 am

Trevor,

I think I share what I think is your opinion. Nigel seems to want an organisation where everything is controlled and regulated. The LAA is not like that and I for one and glad that it is not. I have stated before members need to get along to a strut and actually talk to each other and in short get involved. I guess Nigel with all his projects on the go at the same time does not have time for this.

However, how do I know if I can value your opinion with out a long list of projects and achievements after your name?

Stuart Penfold
Rebuilding a Luton Minor.
Shed full of unfinished motorcycle projects.
Bathroom, Lounge and Kitchen all need decorating, getting pressure from wife.
I occasionally mow the lawn
Ex Ariel Pixie owner
Never driven a Rover 216 in my life

mikehallam

Post by mikehallam » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:23 am

You all sound such sad cases !

Some Shirley tongue in cheek. but others .........................

mike hallam.

Trevor Harvey

Post by Trevor Harvey » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:30 am

G-AWMN
Sorry about that, qualifications as follows.

Two gates to build, two acres grass to cut, disabled wife to look after, & as soon as Francis gets my Permit back to me, an Emeraude to fly,

rogcal

Post by rogcal » Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:29 pm

OK ,OK I give in, I'll join the discussion.

Vespas (specially the GS 180) are a real man's scooter and Lambrettas are for tarts to ride around on.

The Rover 216 coupe is a beast and tamed only by hard men.

The Ariel Pixie! Stuart, you poser. :wink:

Four acres of grass to cut and can't be bothered with gates (very remote so don't need them).

Oh and just for the record, the LAA is OK for me and I suspect for most of the membership also but you can't please all of the people etc,etc.
Roger Callow

Trevor Harvey

Post by Trevor Harvey » Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:02 pm

Vespa's, Lambretta's, :roll: Pixie (don't recall) :? . In a past life I rode a BSA Golden Flash 650. Girlfriend had a Vincent Black Shadow.
Horses, main roads, no gates, Not remote enough :D

Rob Swain

Post by Rob Swain » Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:27 pm

I laugh in the face of your Rover 216s.

The Rover 220 Coupe. Now that was a man's car!
Rob Swain
If the good Lord had intended man to fly, He would have given him more money.

rogcal

Post by rogcal » Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:07 pm

Get it right Rob!

Rover 220 Turbo Coupe, AKA the "Tomcat" and if you find one forget it, it'll have been thrashed to death
Roger Callow

Nigel Ramsay

Post by Nigel Ramsay » Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:24 pm

Rubbish! I raced an Austin 750 Special in the late 60's, 2 bearing crank, 750cc and a genuine 100mph....... with the brakes it had THAT WAS A MAN'S CAR! :twisted:

rogcal

Post by rogcal » Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:13 pm

Back in the late 60's an uncle of mine gave me his Peel P50 to use as a runabout in London.

Embarrassment factor was 10 out of 10 but it was a real manx car! :lol:
Roger Callow