Rotax carb inlet rubber sockets

The place to raise issues, ask questions, swap ideas and discuss anything related to aircraft engineering, maintenance and building.
NB Any opinions expressed in this forum are not necessarily those of LAA Engineering

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Lee Harper

Rotax carb inlet rubber sockets

Post by Lee Harper » Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:35 pm

Hello,

I'm a new aircraft owner and new to the forum, and just wondered if someone could offer some advice on replacement of rotax carburretor inlet rubber sockets.

I have a premix rotax 582 with two flanged inlet rubbers for the carb attachments. On close inspection i noticed that they are developing small cracks in the rubber so they need replacing. A bit of googling seemed to show that this is not an uncommon problem.

The official rotax parts appear to be £67 each, which seems a bit pricey! I dont want to skimp on quality for cost, but has anyone else had the same problem and know of any reasonably priced alternative suppliers?

I came across JBM but they dont make the ones for the 582 premix.

Thanks for your help.
Lee.

Nigel Ramsay

Post by Nigel Ramsay » Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:18 pm

Lee, it's a 'standard' problem, related to time and environmental conditions. I've run 447, 503 and 582 over the years, all the same!

I didn't realise they were that expensive though (it's been 20 years since I had to buy any, but they used to be around £4.00 each!).

Small cracks on the outer surface don't mean "Don't Fly" necessarily. You should gently bend them enough to see how deep the cracks are, if they are only a fraction of a millimetre, then just keep an eye on them. The actual rubber is about 4mm thick from memory.

Next time I'm rummaging in my workshop, I'll see if I have any as I seem to remember a couple of spares lurking in there.

Welcome to the forum by the way :lol:

Lee Harper

Post by Lee Harper » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:14 pm

Thanks for your advice Nigel, the cracks do not appear that deep but its difficult to see precisely so i'm going to replace them anyway for peace of mind.

The 582 premix rubbers are more expensive than some of the other rotax models, presumably because they are flanged and i think contain a metal insert, rather than others which are just straight tubes. £140 a pair still seems a lot though..

Thanks,
Lee.

rans6andrew

Post by rans6andrew » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:40 am

you might want to check out

http://jbmindustries.com/ROTAX.htm

they seem to be competitively priced for the 912 carb mount rubber parts. I don't know anyone who has used them but they may be worth a try.

Rans6.......
Andrew Cattell

Rans S6 Microlight.

Jonathan Holland

Post by Jonathan Holland » Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:43 am

Lee

I believe JBM do make ones for the 582.

http://jbmindustries.com/ROTAX.htm

I have tried some on my 912 and they are much much better than the Rotax originals. The rubber compound is much tougher and they fit a lot tighter over the inlet.

Lee Harper

Post by Lee Harper » Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:01 am

Thanks for your replies, for the 582 there are different types of inlet socket depending on if you have oil injection or not. Unfortunately JBM only make the oil injection version not premix so it looks like i will have to get rotax original parts for this..

Regards,
Lee.