Which Dremel tool?

The place to raise issues, ask questions, swap ideas and discuss anything related to aircraft engineering, maintenance and building.
NB Any opinions expressed in this forum are not necessarily those of LAA Engineering

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

linspuk

Which Dremel tool?

Post by linspuk » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:59 pm

It has been suggested that a Dremel multi-tool would be a useful addition to my toolbox, and my birthday is coming up later this month. Could I get some recommendations please, bearing in mind I'm just starting a metal build project? Thanks
Lindsay Pennell

Mike Mold

Post by Mike Mold » Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:21 pm

Dremel are undoubtedly good quality but I've had a Performance Power look-alike (from B&Q I think) for several years and found it to be invaluable for small jobs in hard to get to places.
Mike Mold
Jodel D112 G-BHNL
Watchford Farm, Devon
www.devonstrut.co.uk

Rob Swain

Post by Rob Swain » Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:06 pm

I've got a B&Q version of the dremel tool and find it is brilliant for lots of jobs you'd never think of, as well as the ones you might. The tiny cutting discs proved brilliant for shortening a fibreglass bendy tent pole, for example.

Mine came with a flexible shaft option, and that is invaluable for getting into hard-to-get-at places, and also using the tool like a pencil to engrave etc.

Make sure you have some safety specs for when using it though - the abrasive as well as the material goes in all directions!
Rob Swain
If the good Lord had intended man to fly, He would have given him more money.

Bill McCarthy

Post by Bill McCarthy » Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:23 pm

Take special note of Rob's recommendation regarding the safety goggles - these little discs hurtle round at a great rate of knots and disintegrate easily.

linspuk

Post by linspuk » Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:35 pm

Thanks chaps - I have safety glasses already as it goes, but your recommendation of the B&Q version is interesting - it's something my dear old mum can get me for my birthday with her pensioners discount!
Lindsay Pennell

macconnacher

Post by macconnacher » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:30 pm

I got one from ALDI very cheap and as usual for ALDi very reasonable quality.
Stuart Macconnacher

James L

Post by James L » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:57 pm

I had a Maplin one, then a B&Q one, and now I have a Dremel. I think the Dremel is definitely worth the extra money - easier to hold, less vibration, lighter, hasn't broken (yet...).
James Lipman

Keith Jillings

Post by Keith Jillings » Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:55 am

I bought a far-Eastern brand one when Lidl had them on offer. The only thing wrong with it is the chuck - a flimsy mechanism that can't hold stuff properly. It's a non-standard size, so the whole thing is a bit of a waste.

A friend of mine has a "real" Dremel, which is infinitely better.

Whatever you buy, check "user" views on that one first!

Rod1

Post by Rod1 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:59 am

I had an old "real" Dremel when I started my MCR. I wore it out and got another which is still going strong. I would defiantly go for the real thing as based on others I have tried it is easeyer to use. When you get used to them you can produce quality work in a fraction of the time it would take using hand tools.

Rod1

Bill Scott

Post by Bill Scott » Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:16 pm

Keith Jillings wrote:I bought a far-Eastern brand one when Lidl had them on offer. The only thing wrong with it is the chuck - a flimsy mechanism that can't hold stuff properly. It's a non-standard size, so the whole thing is a bit of a waste.

A friend of mine has a "real" Dremel, which is infinitely better.

Whatever you buy, check "user" views on that one first!
Keef! You're on here !

I guess that it's entirely logical innit? Sayin as you is flyin a wood & gauze aeroplane these days.
I should think GUTSY is pining for you by now ;)

EDIT: Oops, apologies for thread drift. Thanks to folks for info on Dremel, I think you've just answered my question about what to put on the Christmas list. Should be just the ticket for when I mod the cowling on my darling Rans.