C90 overheating

The place to raise issues, ask questions, swap ideas and discuss anything related to aircraft engineering, maintenance and building.
NB Any opinions expressed in this forum are not necessarily those of LAA Engineering

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Mike Lodge

C90 overheating

Post by Mike Lodge » Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:47 pm

I recently decided to fit a spin-on oil filter to my C90-engined Stinson 105. This necessitated the removal of the oil cooler that has been there 15+ years. The first test flight gave very high oil temp readings close to max. I removed the filter, reconnected the oil cooler and temps returned to their usual low readings.
I have since fitted CHT probes on the two lower rear cylinders and they both give higher readings than I would have expected.( Below the 525F max but around 460 after 2 min climb.) The engine was zeroed just over 100hrs ago so I think it must be an airflow problem. The baffle set-up is a pretty standard one. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Sandy Hutton LAA372

Re: C90 overheating

Post by Sandy Hutton LAA372 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:56 am

Mike, have you removed (cut out :idea: ) the original gauze filter? This is necessary for the modified filter to attain its full flow, which cools the oil.