Rhodius varnish

The place to raise issues, ask questions, swap ideas and discuss anything related to aircraft engineering, maintenance and building.
NB Any opinions expressed in this forum are not necessarily those of LAA Engineering

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

ColinC

Rhodius varnish

Post by ColinC » Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:33 pm

Hi,

does anyone know anything about Rhodius varnish? I know that it is a traditionally used product for wooden airframes, but wondered what attributes it has that make it better than other varnishes?

regards,

Colin
Colin Cheese

Sandy Hutton LAA372

Re: Rhodius varnish

Post by Sandy Hutton LAA372 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:40 am

There's nothing specified in the up to date version of CAP562 but there's an older issue which specifies BSX18, Shellac Varnish for internal wooden structures. The AC43 indicates TT-V-109, which is marine varnish. I priced Shellac which would be my preferred substance and it came out at £18 a litre. How does that compare with Rhodius? Shellac smells much nicer, having experienced it in the manufacture of packing cases for aircraft parts. :D

ColinC

Post by ColinC » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:43 am

Hi Sandy,

I have used a fair amount of Shellac on furniture work as it's used in french polishing. It's made (or was) from the excretions of the lac beetle. I'm not sure it would be anywhere near as durable as modern varnishes as it is soluble in alchohol and other popular solvents and stained by water. It's a great finish for furniture though and simple to apply.

I know most people use polyurethane or epoxy varnish these days. I was going to reserve the Rhodius for the internals of the wing in the hope that it is resistant to mould etc. I understand that it is not compatible with some solvents so I'll avoid it on surfaces being covered or painted.

regards,

colin
Colin Cheese

Sandy Hutton LAA372

Post by Sandy Hutton LAA372 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:32 pm

Did you amend your original post Colin? I could swear the original content involved your Inspector insisting on it and it being difficult/awful to apply. So you knew the answer you were looking for in the first place eh? your own !

Happy New Year

ColinC

Post by ColinC » Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:07 pm

Hi Sandy,

I think that you read the same post that I found on another (possibly Jodel) forum where a guy was complaining that his inspector made him use it and it was horrible and expensive. My inspector knew of it but wasn't insisting on it.

It's not difficult to apply but the vapour is pretty strong and probably not healthy! It is expensive, hence why we were wondering what qualities it has that justify the cost - if any.

regards,

Colin
Colin Cheese