Workshop ventilation

The place to raise issues, ask questions, swap ideas and discuss anything related to aircraft engineering, maintenance and building.
NB Any opinions expressed in this forum are not necessarily those of LAA Engineering

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

tnowak

Workshop ventilation

Post by tnowak » Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:08 am

I live in a residential area and have a double garage. When I start my fuselage recover project next year I will have quite a bit of spraying to do. I will be using Ceconite and butrate dopes etc.
Any tips/advice regarding the best method of workshop fume extraction that will minimise paint smells for my neighbours?

I have heard that extracting into some kind of container equipped with a water spray will considerably help to stop fumes getting out.

Anyone have any experience of this or any other ideas that work?
Tony N
Tony Nowak

G.Dawes

Re: Workshop ventilation

Post by G.Dawes » Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:05 pm

A large box (tea chest) filled with straw as a filter will cut down a lot of it if you direct an extractor through it.
G. Dawes
Graham Dawes

Paul Hendry-Smith

Re: Workshop ventilation

Post by Paul Hendry-Smith » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:18 pm

You will need an extraction fan with a flame proof motor driving the extractor fan as well, not even TEFV motor will do the job it needs to be a flame proof jobbie.

Paul
If you're faced with a forced landing, fly the thing as far into the crash as possible.
(Bob Hoover)