Aircraft insurance during build

The place to raise issues, ask questions, swap ideas and discuss anything related to aircraft engineering, maintenance and building.
NB Any opinions expressed in this forum are not necessarily those of LAA Engineering

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

2greens1red

Aircraft insurance during build

Post by 2greens1red » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:15 pm

Has anyone any tips on insuring an aircraft during construction over 4 months?

One quote we had from an aviation broker struck us as eye-wateringly high. Are there any sensible alternatives such as adding to a domestic policy (secure workshop on private land)?
Richard Lyon

Ian Melville

Re: Aircraft insurance during build

Post by Ian Melville » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:19 am

Good question Richard, I was wondering the same for my build.

I wanted to ensure my tools and materials were covered as well?

What does everyone do?
Ian Melville

2greens1red

Post by 2greens1red » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:36 am

Ian - another factor to consider is the increase (hopefully) in value as the build progresses. Also covering parts of the build being worked on remotely (i.e. panel/avionics/wiring in one of our group member's home).

The quote I had covered engine runs and taxiing, both theoretical in our case.
Richard Lyon

2greens1red

Post by 2greens1red » Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:14 pm

I realise it's frowned upon (for reasons I've never fathomed) to shop around for insurance quotes, but the two (so far) which have come in have totally different conditions, and both, in my opinion, exceptionally high cost. One covers all ground usage, including engine runs and taxi activities; the other, more expensive, offers cover up to engine mounting, which is touching on chocolate kettle territory.

So answers to extract would include the above factors and whether one gets a refund pro-rata for a build taking less than a whole year (or 2 years etc.).

Incidentally, this thread is one very good reason that I would prefer posts to be anonymous on this forum.
Richard Lyon

paul330

Post by paul330 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:07 pm

I don't know what you consider to be "eye-watering"......

I insured through Jennings for about 1% of value. They were happy to include tools and increase the amount as more was added to the airframe.
Paul Marskell
RV-10 ZU-IIZ
At Mercy Air, White River, RSA

Bearhawk Bravo QB under construction

2greens1red

Post by 2greens1red » Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:21 pm

Nearer 2% needed a handkerchief, in our case, Paul, but subsequent quotes appear more reasonable.

Do Jennings cover all risks inc. engine mounting, running and taxying?

One quote we've had covers most build risks, taxying and 15hrs test flying, and looks hopeful.

A slight spanner in the works has been covering transit risks of the kit (inc. engine) ex-factory, which we hadn't considered previously.
Richard Lyon

paul330

Post by paul330 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:11 am

I am away so can't check the policy but I don't remember any particularly onerous restrictions. They've certainly been very easy going with increasing value and transit coverage for the move to the hangar - just phoned them up and told them what I need.

I insured shipments separately.

As for engine runs, taxy checks etc, I plan to do that just before flying (next spring? :lol: ) so I'll probably move to full flying cover at that stage.
Paul Marskell
RV-10 ZU-IIZ
At Mercy Air, White River, RSA

Bearhawk Bravo QB under construction

2greens1red

Post by 2greens1red » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:44 pm

We eventually covered our Eurofox kit with a broker (pilot) and underwriters (2 pilots) for overland transit from the factory (Slovakia) to the UK, plus increasing value from arrival to end of build. Flying cover will be confirmed when the group's experience is confirmed, and after we've all had a taildragger conversion. Broker details on request.....
Richard Lyon