Magneto toggle switch: Acceptable types & ratings

The place to raise issues, ask questions, swap ideas and discuss anything related to aircraft engineering, maintenance and building.
NB Any opinions expressed in this forum are not necessarily those of LAA Engineering

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Ian Law

Magneto toggle switch: Acceptable types & ratings

Post by Ian Law » Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:22 pm

Could anyone advise me what type of toggle switches would be acceptable for use as magneto switches and where to find these and recognize them as being OK for aircraft use? I already have a pair in my panel and wish to make sure they are up to snuff.

I would prefer to use toggle switches rather than the modern style key variety. The ex military U.K. and the vintage American military "rotary" switches (Bendix type - & Pollak , which would be ideal ) seem to be collectors' items and are too pricey for me.

Any guidance appreciated.

Ian

Noel Howard

Re: Magneto toggle switch: Acceptable types & ratings

Post by Noel Howard » Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:09 pm

Hello Ian,

I have two WWII type toggle switches as used on most RAF aircraft up to and including the Chipmunk, if I remember aright. I am converting my VP-1 to a Leburg ignition system and that will release a switch unit as the Leburg requires totally different switches. (Contacts closed for "ON" being the main difference) At the moment the switch unit, which has a pair of toggle switches, one for each mag. is still on the aircraft, but I will take it off and send it to you next time I go to the strip sometime next week. I don't want any money for it, I'm just glad it will go to a good home.
If you want to take up this offer, perhaps you would send a PM to me, or better still, ring me on 01420 565993.

Regards,
Noel.

Ian Law

Re: Magneto toggle switch: Acceptable types & ratings

Post by Ian Law » Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:56 am

Thank you Noel and following our conversation, a note is on the way to you.

One more problem solved!

Ian