Safety Equipment

The place to raise issues, ask questions, swap ideas and discuss anything related to aircraft engineering, maintenance and building.
NB Any opinions expressed in this forum are not necessarily those of LAA Engineering

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

paul330

Safety Equipment

Post by paul330 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:09 am

Is it a legal requirement to have a fire extinguisher and/or First aid kit fitted? If so, do they need to be aviation specific or can I get them from Halfords?

If it's a legal necessity, I guess they would be included in the empty weight, otherwise basic weight, n'est par?
Paul Marskell
RV-10 ZU-IIZ
At Mercy Air, White River, RSA

Bearhawk Bravo QB under construction

Brian Hope

Re: Safety Equipment

Post by Brian Hope » Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:01 am

Hi Paul. I am not aware that either is a legal requirement in a permit aircraft but would certainly have thought that a fire extinguisher was highly recommended. I have heard comments that a small extinguisher is not of much use if you have a crash and a fire starts but that isn’t the only time when it might be useful. Engine fires on start-up are not that uncommon, and an electrical problem leading to a fire in the air can soon get out of hand if you have no means of extinguishing it. An RV10 has more than enough carrying capability that an extinguisher could easily be accommodated, likewise a First Aid kit. Motorsport participants use a selection of quality extinguishers but seek advice on content; some products are not recommended for enclosed spaces as they use gases that are dangerous if inhaled.

Ian Melville

Post by Ian Melville » Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:47 am

Hi Paul,
At work so don't have full info to hand.
IIRC RV10 is approved using CS-23 as a basis. What does that say?

As Brian said, there is a limited choice of extinguishers that can be used. I think only under cowl ones can be used in the air. Often fitted in race cars.

If pukker aviation grade wire is used, electrical fire in cockpit should stop once the CB trips or is pulled. May need to get some fresh air in though.

If you do fit a fire extinguisher then the mounts must be proved to withstand the forces specified in CS-23. No gain in getting whacked on the bonce by an wayward extinguisher during a survivable precautionary field landing.

Specified or not I would carry a first aid kit and replace it every few years (the tapes and sterile dressing at least).
Ian Melville

paul330

Post by paul330 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:46 pm

Can't find anything in CS23 that mentions Fire extinguishers or First Aid kits. I agree 100% that both should be fitted - I was just looking at the paperwork issues. Since it is optional, I guess it is included in the basic weight and not the empty weight.

Merlin Motorsport have some hand held foam extinguishers which are non-toxic and good for dry, fuel and low-volt electrics. Since they are certified for motor-sport, they have decent mounting brackets and aren't too expensive. See no reason why a Halfords First Aid kit shouldn't be OK.
Paul Marskell
RV-10 ZU-IIZ
At Mercy Air, White River, RSA

Bearhawk Bravo QB under construction

Ian Melville

Post by Ian Melville » Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:50 pm

Paul, if something can put out a fire, it can also put out a life if used in a confined space. Non-toxic can still only be used after you are on the deck and doors open.

Could it be public transport work or CAT, That mandates these items?
Ian Melville