Terrier Tailwheel

The place to raise issues, ask questions, swap ideas and discuss anything related to aircraft engineering, maintenance and building.
NB Any opinions expressed in this forum are not necessarily those of LAA Engineering

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Geof Delmege

Terrier Tailwheel

Post by Geof Delmege » Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:40 pm

I have a Terrier with a tailwheel assembly that has deteriorated probably due to my poor landings whilst learning to fly the aircraft :D
It has the original steering tailwheel assembly which I cannot seem to get parts or information on.
Does anyone have a spare Scott 3200 they wish to sell?
I also need some new leaf springs any leads on where I could get some new ones made as 50 years of use have taken their toll on the current ones.
Kind Regards
Geof

ROB THOMASSON

Re: Terrier Tailwheel

Post by ROB THOMASSON » Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:30 am

Airspares 80 on ebay had a spring for sale that didn't go so give him a PM. As to the wheel is it castoring on the Terrier as per the rest of the Auster fleet? If so I have a complete Maule assembly that should fit OK as I had it on my J5 for a while.
If the spring is not broken it's dead easy to reshape with an oxy propane or acetylene setup. Get to bright red, reshape and quench in oil.
Send me a PM if you wan the tailwheel. £60 plus postage.

Geof Delmege

Post by Geof Delmege » Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:17 pm

Hi Rob
It is the steerable type with an 8 inch pneumatic tyre.
The springs are not broken just need bendiin back so that the castor angle is ok.
Does the Maule wheel assy you have allow steering links to be attached?
Kind Regards
Geof

Nigelcot

Post by Nigelcot » Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:42 am

The tailwheel sounds non original, the original options were the standard castoring one or the "prestige" steerable one both fitted with a solid tyre bonded to the wheel.
Care needs to be taken with american wheels as the rudder cables and fittings are very light weight not originally designed with steering tailwheels in mind, the Prestige only uses light bungees and the breakout force is much less than the american assemblies.
We had a local blacksmith who would reshape and temper springs and also build new ones.
Nigel Cottrell