Ray Allen Stick Grip wiring

The place to raise issues, ask questions, swap ideas and discuss anything related to aircraft engineering, maintenance and building.
NB Any opinions expressed in this forum are not necessarily those of LAA Engineering

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

huwcarey

Ray Allen Stick Grip wiring

Post by huwcarey » Fri May 02, 2014 5:14 pm

Hi

I am considering fitting a Ray Allen G2 multi button grip to my Zenair 601XL for aileron and elevator trim. At the moment there are two toggle switches for these functions on the centre console but it would be much easier, in terms of relieving the workload on landing, if they were on the stick.

What are the regulations for extending the wires from the existing switches to the joystick? What connectors do I use? I was also told that I cannot solder the wires on to the Ray Allen switches as this is not permitted on aircraft?

Any help would be appreciated: which wire, connectors and how to terminate them, and where I can get all the bits?

Many thanks
Huw Carey
Huw Carey

Ian Melville

Re: Ray Allen Stick Grip wiring

Post by Ian Melville » Sat May 03, 2014 7:37 am

Since your change involves the aircraft trim system I strongly recommend you speak with LAA Engineering. A mistake in the trim system could ruin your day.

If soldering was not permitted you will have an issue with these sticks tops, as the instructions tell you to solder the joints in the stick top. http://www.rayallencompany.com/RACmedia ... G2grip.pdf

Soldering is generally not recommended in high vibration areas due to the joint fatigue failing, or the wire failing where the solder stops. Well mechanically supported wires with heat shrink sleeves over the tag and wire in the stick top should be OK (not like the instructions!!!). I doubt there is room to do anything else. I have also found that may aircraft engineers are very poor with electrical stuff. I cringe when I see some of their 'certified' work.

I started typing loads of info but realised that there were so many ifs and butts that it was all getting a bit confusing. The only LAA rule I know of is that you must use aviation quality parts. You can get parts from LAS and other aircraft supply companies, but try and borrow the correct tools as they are expensive. You may find this of some help?

http://www.aeroelectric.com/articles/rules/review.html

Then there is always the LAA Electrics and Avionics courses for next winter?
Ian Melville

huwcarey

Post by huwcarey » Sat May 03, 2014 11:00 am

Thanks Ian.

Attending the winter coarse makes a lot of sense. I am a time served electrician but like you say there are so many contradictory articles on the web it has left me a bit confused on what I can and can't do.

I will also have a chat with my inspector as he is a prolific builder. Having just checked he Ray Allen instructions there is no room in the grip top for anything other than soldering the connections as space is very limited, certainly not enough room for any push type connectors. With longer tails through the holes then twisted before soldering and then heat shrink over the joint it should be very secure.
Huw Carey

huwcarey

Post by huwcarey » Sat May 03, 2014 11:04 am

Huw
Huw Carey

ian herdis

Post by ian herdis » Sat May 03, 2014 6:28 pm

Check the current rating of the switches. You may have to fit relays to operate the trim motors and use the stick mounted switches to fire the relays. There have been instances of relays welding on and causing trim run away. Also you introduce the possibility of inadvertent operation of the trim switches something to think about especially if you have an autopilot.

Toggle switches on the panel is what I am fitting for simplicity and reliability.

huwcarey

Post by huwcarey » Sat May 03, 2014 6:36 pm

Sounds a much simpler option and I will probably stick with my panel mount switches too. When I build the next aircraft I will probably use the G2
Huw Carey

Rob Swain

Post by Rob Swain » Sun May 04, 2014 7:05 am

huwcarey wrote:Sounds a much simpler option and I will probably stick with my panel mount switches too.
My RV6 came with a multi-button grip but only the radio PTT actually used.
The plane has electric pitch trim using a toggle switch on the panel (just by the throttle - ideal) and I considered putting control on to the stick buttons.

I consider relays to be essential, looking at the grip buttons and specs.
You need to handle what happens if the user presses two buttons at once - a direct short is obviously unacceptable.
What if the plane is flown from the other seat? Two grips? What if the passenger leans something on the stick / button? I have had paxs lean a chart on their ptt before now!
If conflicting buttons are pressed on pilot and pax sticks which gets priority, and how do you achieve this?
With all the above complexity do you need an isolate/override switch on the panel?

Suffice to say I abandoned the idea as too awkward and complex for a quick project. I will maybe reconsider if I ever get an autopilot.
Rob Swain
If the good Lord had intended man to fly, He would have given him more money.