Builder Course

The place to raise issues, ask questions, swap ideas and discuss anything related to aircraft engineering, maintenance and building.
NB Any opinions expressed in this forum are not necessarily those of LAA Engineering

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Netwasp

Builder Course

Post by Netwasp » Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:49 pm

Hi

Are there any UK based builder's courses on metal bashing beyond the basics where I can use my RV-7A empennage? In the US these courses exist where you work for 5 days intensively as part of the course an you can build your own stuff - would seem to encourage good, productive use of time and speed up th ebuld enormously. If run by the LAA or related to the LAA then the inspectors can be on hand to monitor and carry out stage checks.

Does anything like this exist here?

James (WannaBe RV-7A pilot)
James Hunt

Brian Hope

Re: Builder Course

Post by Brian Hope » Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:34 am

Hi James, apart from the one day courses the LAA Educational Trust runs at Turweston during the winter months, which takes you through the basic processes involved via the building of a Van's tool box training piece, there are no 'build your empennage in a week' type courses. The market just isn't big enough in the UK to make such a course sustainable. You might be able to find a former Van's builder who is retired and willing to offer a few days' help to get you started. I'd suggest you did the one day LAA ET course to give you at least the fundamentals and then ask for some help via the RV Squadron forum. To be honest though, most people seem to manage once they know the basics and the RV plans and instructions are noted as being very straightforward to follow.

Netwasp

Post by Netwasp » Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:43 pm

Thanks for the response Brian

Yes, I'm chasing the LAA for the "Metal Bashers" beginner's course.

I'll also try to find out if I can find a local helpful ex-RV builder to get me going - good idea

Many thanks

James
James Hunt

Rob Swain

Post by Rob Swain » Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:03 pm

I did the RV toolbox LAA course.

Thoroughly recommend it!

The electrics and avionics courses are very good too.

Just need the composites for RVs course to be run again - had a prior engagement last time it ran.
Rob Swain
If the good Lord had intended man to fly, He would have given him more money.

Netwasp

Post by Netwasp » Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:28 am

I'm attending the Aluminium course on the 2nd Nov - really looking forward to it.
James Hunt

tnowak

Post by tnowak » Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:18 am

Once you have completed your RV toolbox LAA course look at what you can ultimately achieve!
This is truly amazing considering the environment:
https://www.youtube.com/embed/9ruArctYY ... detailpage

Tony Nowak
Tony Nowak