Murphy Maverick

The place to raise issues, ask questions, swap ideas and discuss anything related to aircraft engineering, maintenance and building.
NB Any opinions expressed in this forum are not necessarily those of LAA Engineering

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

mikehallam

Murphy Maverick

Post by mikehallam » Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:09 pm

A friend in France, Richard Arkell, bought a U.K. part built but long ago abandoned Maverick kit to be a home build project.

The fuselage has now been completed but the wings are a problem as lack of detailed info. is exacerbated as Murphy in Canada - if they exist now - won't communicate.
Can any Inspector or owner/builder give a bit of feed back for the wing construction please ?

He is struggling to make sense of the Maverick wing structure and work out what the original builder has done/not done as both wings are at different stages. It looks like some bits are missing (whereas the fuselage bits were all there).

"All the wing stiffness seems to be concentrated at the root end but not much where the single strut attaches and the ailerons start which I would have thought was where most of the bending loads hide out. The only aluminium skinned section of the wings (other than main spar forward) is the first couple of rib bays where the skins are stiffened with quite tough sectioned stringers. He refers to this bit as the 'torque box' but it ends abruptly well before the strut mounting/inboard aileron mount region. The main spar forward structure looks perfectly rigid but the aft wing structure is only reasonably stiff at the root end. To make matters more puzzling I have pre punched pieces of heavy skin material (.035") with part numbers not in the wing parts list and not illustrated in the plans which look by the hole punching as if they might skin the area over the strut attachment/inboard aileron mount area. There is absolutely no mention of any such skinning in the manual and it may be from the gauge that they are Rebel bits included in error."

We're in regular touch so any answers can be sent via me or by direct e-mail.

Thanks, mike hallam mikehallam at btinternet dot com

mikehallam

Re: Murphy Maverick

Post by mikehallam » Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:29 am

Anyone - perhaps an Inspector - with access to SPARS please ?
Especially Murphy Maverick wing structural weakness issues & M.D.'s ?

MaverickPilot

Re: Murphy Maverick

Post by MaverickPilot » Sat Jul 02, 2022 6:36 pm

Hi. I know your post about the Maverick was a long time ago but I might be able to help as I do have the build manuals and could scan the pages to you.
In return I need the part number of the tailplane leading edge as I have to replace mine due to corrosion and in the manual it just says refer to the full size plan and I never got that when I bought the aircraft
If the tailplane was available I would buy it!!
Regards
Martin
Martin Hands