Vertical Power install

The place to raise issues, ask questions, swap ideas and discuss anything related to aircraft engineering, maintenance and building.
NB Any opinions expressed in this forum are not necessarily those of LAA Engineering

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

widdzy

Vertical Power install

Post by widdzy » Sun Feb 18, 2024 5:11 am

Hi All,

Do any members have any experience with the installation and use of the ‘vertical Power’ units ?

Essentially they are a solid state unit that allows for direct input from all the electrical services without the need for a line of circuit breakers, bus bar and the associated wiring.

They can be configured alongside the Dynon or garmin glass panels to allow monitoring of the electrical systems and provide current flow info and alarms

Any thoughts from others regarding their use would be much appreciated.

I’m aware there may be several RV aircraft running with these units already. They are solely intended for the experimental aircraft market

Thanks

Widdzy
Kevin Widdowson

Penguin

Re: Vertical Power install

Post by Penguin » Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:35 am

Please think very carefully before buying a VPX, they are expensive and don't do much for you.
Electrical systems are not difficult, if you don't know how ask for advice from your inspector.
To figure out if a VPX is right for you ask yourself questions like,
- How many of the functions the VPX provides will I use?
- If I didn't have a VPX how would I fit those functions and how much would it cost?
- What will I do if the VPX does not work properly?
- How will I operate my aeroplane differently using the information provided by the VPX?
or, how will the information provided by the VPX change my decision making?
- How can I be confident the VPX will do what the advertising material promises?
(what standards have been used in the hardware and software design to ensure reliability)?

A voltmeter is the only device needed to gauge the health of your electrical system.
Even an ammeter doesn't really give much useful info that would change your decision making.

Peter
Peter Pengilly