Liability insurance for Engineers

The place to raise issues, ask questions, swap ideas and discuss anything related to aircraft engineering, maintenance and building.
NB Any opinions expressed in this forum are not necessarily those of LAA Engineering

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Neil Spooner

Liability insurance for Engineers

Post by Neil Spooner » Tue Jun 04, 2024 5:37 pm

As an LAA inspector I am protected behind the insurance that I purchase as part of my LAA inspector rating. However, if I do any "work" on an aircraft I am on my own liability. If I owned/operated a company I would have liability insurance as part of my Hangar or business insurance, however, as a sole proprietor of a business that works from home I cannot benefit from any of these policies. Insurance companies that I have approached are not interested or charge such a premium that it make the proposition untenable.

I would potentially be interested in building VW conversions, but cannot get over this barrier.
Can anyone offer a way around this conundrum?

Nick Allen

Re: Liability insurance for Engineers

Post by Nick Allen » Wed Jun 26, 2024 11:24 am

Although you're a sole proprietor, there's nothing to stop you creating your own limited company and operating under its umbrella -- many sole proprietors do this to protect themselves. (The cost of setting up a company is negligible; there is additional paperwork to consider; and a different tax regime, which may or may not benefit you depending on circumstances -- ask your accountant if you have one.)