LAA Maintenance/Build Courses

The place to raise issues, ask questions, swap ideas and discuss anything related to aircraft engineering, maintenance and building.
NB Any opinions expressed in this forum are not necessarily those of LAA Engineering

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Bill McCarthy

Post by Bill McCarthy » Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:07 pm

Any chance of some engine maintenance courses ?

ColinC

Post by ColinC » Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:42 pm

Ian, am booked on Saturday's session but I intend attending whatever courses I can, so we may meet up yet.

regards

Colin

Ian Melville

Post by Ian Melville » Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:10 pm

Dave White (AKA Dave W) from the flyer Forum is also doing the Sat session. If you are staying over at, or are local to Turweston we are planning to meet for a few jars Friday evening at the Green Man.

Cheers
Ian

Brian Hope

Post by Brian Hope » Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:51 pm

Hi Bill, still early days but that is certainly a possibility for the future. The initial plan was half a dozen courses over the winter months to assess the level of interest in order to either plan a more comprehensive programme or put the idea on hold. We've already moved passed the six courses idea but I still want to get a better feel for demand before committing to a very comprehensive range of courses. All I can say at this stage really is watch this space.

Rod1

Post by Rod1 » Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:36 pm

I would be very intrested in a “all you ever wanted to know about the 912” course.

Rod1

Simon Ring

Post by Simon Ring » Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:20 pm

Brian,
Any idea if there are going to be anymore courses for inspectors. I am in discussion with Ken C to reactivate my inspectors approval and consequently missed the last set of courses.

Simon

davidd

Post by davidd » Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:38 pm

I managed to get a place on the 16th November, any other forum goers booked on this course?

pillpoppinpilot

Post by pillpoppinpilot » Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:59 pm

Brian - I'll put a second vote in for an engine maintenance course. Not all of us are builders but want to be able to maintain our aircraft. The first tranch of courses are all about building, not that I mind that, just lets have a bit of both please.

Tony

Brian Hope

Post by Brian Hope » Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:45 pm

Hi Tony, maintenance courses are very much on the agenda. We wanted to get some of the build courses up an running to start with and now that is happening we can look at maintenance. The first courses are likely to be about preparing for the annual inspection and general maintenance, but more specific courses like engines etc will be looked into asap.

Somin, I have no connection with Inspecyor training days, they are organised within the Engineering department. Suggest you give Ken a ring to see if they have any more courses planned for 2008.

Simon Ring

Post by Simon Ring » Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:37 pm

Brian,

Thank you for the response, I will contact Ken as suggested.

Simon

David White

Post by David White » Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:48 pm

Ian Melville wrote:Dave White (AKA Dave W) from the flyer Forum is also doing the Sat session. If you are staying over at, or are local to Turweston we are planning to meet for a few jars Friday evening at the Green Man.
Only just seen this - thanks, Ian. If anybody else does come along on Friday night it'll be good to meet you over a drink, otherwise I'll look forward to seeing new faces over a bucking bar on Saturday,
--
Dave White

Rob Swain

Post by Rob Swain » Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:03 pm

I know this thread has gone rather cold, but...

I've now done 2 of the courses, metalwork and wiring. Both were excellent: informative and enjoyable.
The metalwork was primarily hands on and the electrics was more of a series of lectures but that was entirely appropriate in each case given their subject matter!

Brian has done a superb job of putting the program of courses together and I for one am most grateful.

I'm also looking forward to the general maintenance & permit renewal preparation course and specific engine courses (Lycoming, in my case!).
Rob Swain
If the good Lord had intended man to fly, He would have given him more money.

Bill McCarthy

Post by Bill McCarthy » Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:39 pm

I am just back from doing the woodworking course. It was over fourteen hours drive each way to Swindon / Wick but well worth the effort. I reckon I could tackle a build provided I get my workshop insulated, fitted out with all the luxuries. Now let me get my hands on the plans !!

Nigel Ramsay

LAA Courses

Post by Nigel Ramsay » Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:59 pm

I did the Fabric Course just before Christmas, excellent, I thoroughly recommend it! I'd be quite happy covering an elevator or aileron straight away. If I was going to recover the whole plane I'd do those first to get my eye in.

Bill McCarthy

Post by Bill McCarthy » Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:42 am

Fabric course, what fabric course ? Blast, I missed that. Where was that promulgated?