Turb engine help from DownUnda

The place to raise issues, ask questions, swap ideas and discuss anything related to aircraft engineering, maintenance and building.
NB Any opinions expressed in this forum are not necessarily those of LAA Engineering

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

cardiffrob

Turb engine help from DownUnda

Post by cardiffrob » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:36 am

Can anyone else help out on this message I received through the Pprune website?

VW Aircraft Engines

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Don't expect you to be able to help, but for info, I have a 1966 vintage 1200 cc beetle engine powering a Turbulent - in New Zealand.

I keep burning through the exhaust pipes and collector box - not really a silencer of course - which runs under the front of the engine Port to Starboard.

Finding someone to bend pipes to the required angles to all meet and be inserted into each other is a real pain, so far I've been able to get them patched, but no longer, and I'm faced with replacing them all.

The original Turbulents had the cylinders and pipes exposed on the outside, but mine are covered by a neat cowling, cannabalised from a Corby Starlet - an Aussie copy of the Turb. - so unless identical shapes are reproduced they won't fit in the cowlings.

I don't want to remove my engine and take it to a car muffler shop, I know it will be a real pain repositioning it and re-timing the mags. and have located a VW guru who is going to let me have an identical shell, i.e. just cylinders and sump, so that I can take that to a machine shop and have them make the pipes, then hopefully they will fit on my engine !!!

I'm not an engineer, just want to fly the bloody thing !

Not your problem, but interested in your comment about building VW aircraft engines, am also vaguely interested in maybe upgrading to the 1600 version, which I'm told is the same size and will fit my installation ?

Cheers,

Alan Murgatroyd
[email protected]
Kerikeri, NZ
Rob Thomas

Mike Mold

Post by Mike Mold » Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:26 pm

He may get help or ideas from http://www.greatplainsas.com/scexhaust.html
Mike Mold
Jodel D112 G-BHNL
Watchford Farm, Devon
www.devonstrut.co.uk