Confor Foam

The place to raise issues, ask questions, swap ideas and discuss anything related to aircraft engineering, maintenance and building.
NB Any opinions expressed in this forum are not necessarily those of LAA Engineering

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

tnowak

Confor Foam

Post by tnowak » Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:06 pm

Does anyone have any practical experience with using Confor Foam? Am considering renewing the seat in my Vagabond and wonder if a sheet of 1" Confor foam over ordinary 2" thick upholstry foam will have the desired effect? Base of seat is 3/16" ply which sort of sits on a deck chair-like canvas sling arrangement.
Primarily I want to reduce the overall weight of the seat assembly as it appears to weight 10-15 lb than it should (based on the weight of a friend's Vag seat assy).
Is Confor foam heavier than ordinary upholstry foam?
Tony Nowak

G.Dawes

Post by G.Dawes » Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:23 pm

Go to Aldi and they have Tempur type foam pi9llows, that are good sources of that foam and dead cheap too. They wont be there long though.
Graham

tnowak

Post by tnowak » Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:18 pm

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the info about different foam specs. I had Googled for general info, but couldn't really find anything useful. Now I enter "40/240 foam" and hey presto!

My max endurance (to fumes in the tank!) is 2 hrs 30 mins, but longest leg I am likely to fly is 2 hrs. I suspect that regular upholstry foam like you suggest will meet my requirements. I note the Confor foam recommendation is to use a sandwich of 3, 1" thick, sheets. Each sheet has a different hardness factor with the most soft on top.

Any suggestions for good, but lightweight, vinyl covering (or equivalent)?
Tony Nowak