tyre creeping on rim

The place to raise issues, ask questions, swap ideas and discuss anything related to aircraft engineering, maintenance and building.
NB Any opinions expressed in this forum are not necessarily those of LAA Engineering

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

johnM

tyre creeping on rim

Post by johnM » Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:17 am

Hi

I have just had two punctures which seem to have been caused by the tyre creeping on the rim. Both were on hard runways and occurred during take off in a cross wind where a brake was being applied..
Examination of the wheel shows no rubber marks whatsoever on the part of the wheel where the tyre bead sits. It appears that rotation of the tyre is only resisted by the friction of the side of the bead on the wheel rim.
My thoughts are that the wheel is too small for the tyre but the aircraft distributor says this is not the case.
Any suggestions and are there any glues etc. that will stop this rotation.

thanks
john
John Massey

Bill McCarthy

Post by Bill McCarthy » Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:30 am

Are your tyre pressures right. Is there any tyre "soap" on the bead that could reduce tyre grip on the rim. What are your wheel bearings like - is there any rolling resistance. Are your brakes binding a bit - this will induce quite a big jolt to the wheel to get it turning on touchdown.

Sandy Hutton LAA372

Post by Sandy Hutton LAA372 » Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:01 am

After fitting the tyre, over inflate by about 10psi. Give the wheel a good bounce on the floor, rotating it as you do. Refit to the axle and let the pressure down to what it should be.

Gary Carr

punctures

Post by Gary Carr » Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:17 am

Hi QUOTE:
I have just had two punctures which seem to have been caused by the tyre creeping on the rim...

Just curious..... but are we talking different wheels or has this happened only on one??

Gary
Updated
1st aircraft... TST Thruster MK1
Second aircraft... challenger II
Third aircraft .......Gyrocopter 2 place....... And i am still on the ground!...
LAA.PRA.BRA...

johnM

Post by johnM » Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:15 pm

Both on the LH main
John Massey

Gary Carr

tyre

Post by Gary Carr » Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:48 pm

Hi John,

I dont know what wheels you have...split rims..?
but i have heard of this before..
removing the paste,turning them around...ETC,ETC,..it turned out that the wheels had been taken off the plane and the tyres fitted... and the tyres placed on the wrong side..but when these wheels was( tracked..)the problem disapeared!..hope this helps you i think these was on dunlop tyres!...
remember its always nice to have air under your tyres!......... :D
Updated
1st aircraft... TST Thruster MK1
Second aircraft... challenger II
Third aircraft .......Gyrocopter 2 place....... And i am still on the ground!...
LAA.PRA.BRA...

NickChittenden

Post by NickChittenden » Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:48 am

Bostik glue works well. Take the wheel apart, clean the tyre and rim, apply a small coat of Bostik and when nearly dry (like mending a bicycle puncture) fit the tyre and inflate.

The tyre should not rotate on the rim but if you need to remove the tyre from the rim again the glue will easily peel away. I have used this method for trials cars running almost flat tyres and have never seen the tyres creep.

johnM

Post by johnM » Sat Oct 31, 2009 7:34 am

thanks for that tip. I will try it.

john
John Massey

Trevor Lyons

Post by Trevor Lyons » Sun Nov 15, 2009 5:20 pm

Enduro and motocross (scramble) motorcycles have tubed tyres that run at very low pressures (e.g. 8 -12 psi) and riders use two methods to prevent tyre creep:

The more common device is to use a tyre retainer shoe that clamps the tyre to the rim. From the outside it looks like a tyre valve. However, this device is perhaps only be feasible with a spoked wheel.

The second trick is to have a few self tapping screws that pass through the rim flange and thereby fix the tyre to the wheel. This method is largely superceded by the first in motocross, but may be an effective ploy on aeroplanes. (It goes without saying that the self-tappers should be short, so that they cannot pierce the tube).
formerly "arriviste" (ARV-ist!)