Starting a 1779 VW with a Zenith Stromberg Carb.

The place to raise issues, ask questions, swap ideas and discuss anything related to aircraft engineering, maintenance and building.
NB Any opinions expressed in this forum are not necessarily those of LAA Engineering

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

cardiffrob

Post by cardiffrob » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:56 am

About 6 feet of pipe from valves backwards, a KR2 manifold from GPASC and a hame-made silencer (1.1lbs for 2.5 feet!) and no flywheel.
At 2200rpm it is quiet enough not to heard through our double glazing but, sitting in it, the noise of the prop easily overtakes the noise of the exhaust when you pour on the coal. Ticks over at 480 rpm quite happily so there must be some good scavenging from the exhausts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqw8ZcI0eEw&NR=1
Rob Thomas

rogcal

Post by rogcal » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:35 am

and a hame-made silencer
Would that be cured or smoked Rob? :wink:
Roger Callow

Rob Swain

Post by Rob Swain » Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:37 pm

As regards weight being a reason not to have a decent tuned and somewhat muffled exhaust, I think that's probably a load of cods.
More likely is a lack of ambition on all our parts.

Performance bikes have very light after-market 'silencers' that are effectively straight through pipes of tuned length surrounded by wadding. One of these is sufficient for a 1000cc bike.
Two for a 2 litre VW shouldn't be a problem, but I would think you can get away with one seeing as a 1000cc bike revs to well over 10,000 rpm, and a VW to around 3000, so will be only flowing a gas volume of 2/3 or less what the bike engine does.
Only issues of using bike pipes might be getting the length right for best power, and potential of the more pronounced power pulses down the exhaust blowing out the silencer's wadding.

There is a C172 at Sleap that has a tuned exhaust on it. Apparently works well, but the hardware looks dreadful.

I know the original topic of this thread is now solved, but my guess would have been a lack of fuel in the float chamber.
After rebuilding and Leburging a VP1 engine it wouldn't start - not a peep. It's a long way from the fuel pump to the carb, so removed the pipe and filled the float chamber using a syringe and then gave the beastie sixteen blades to prime.
Started first pull after that.
I was amazed!
Rob Swain
If the good Lord had intended man to fly, He would have given him more money.