LAA Maintenance/Build Courses

The place to raise issues, ask questions, swap ideas and discuss anything related to aircraft engineering, maintenance and building.
NB Any opinions expressed in this forum are not necessarily those of LAA Engineering

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Nigel Ramsay

fabric course

Post by Nigel Ramsay » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:21 am

It was in one of the magazines Bill. I read about it (and the others) and phoned the office. Most were already maxed out but they were running an extra fabric course (Skycraft in Spalding). I have a feeling that Dave at Skycraft isn't running anymore for a while, but I may have that wrong. Quicker to call him perhaps. He sells Diatex and interestingly informed us that whilst many use Ceconite, it's NOT actually approved for use under our regs..... bet that starts a flurry of posts :D

By the way, he's a very knowledgeable guy and it's a very hands on (and hands sticky) course!

Bill McCarthy

Post by Bill McCarthy » Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:26 am

Did he make comment on this new stuff "Oratex". I saw a sample when I was on the woodworking course and it looks the bees knees. That fabric course would have complimented the one I was on. Ah well, I'll have to look out for the next one.
Perhaps we could have the course dates put on the website, or are they there already and I have not picked up on it.

Nigel Ramsay

Covering ncourse

Post by Nigel Ramsay » Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:29 pm

I don't know where they are posted now Bill, calling the office is the best bet, also you can get yourself put on as a reserve (which is worthwhile, that's actually what i did). No mention of Oratex, but then Dave Almey has a vested interest in Diatex as he sells it and all the other complimentary covering materials and tools.

Bill McCarthy

Post by Bill McCarthy » Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:59 pm

Diatex and Oratex look like they could come from the same manufacturer.
However I would have thought that all materials would have been covered in the course for those in new build and restoration.

Nigel Ramsay

Post by Nigel Ramsay » Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:05 pm

No, Diatex only, it was a commercial course really, but very helpful if only to learn rib-stitching! I suspect that there isn't so much difference between modern fabric systems in practical terms, just in the proportions/quantities, temps etc. I'd recommend it.

I'm waiting to get on a composites course next!