Rans S10 aerobatics

The place to raise issues, ask questions, swap ideas and discuss anything related to aircraft engineering, maintenance and building.
NB Any opinions expressed in this forum are not necessarily those of LAA Engineering

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

david jones

Rans S10 aerobatics

Post by david jones » Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:48 am

Hi
I am looking for anyone who has experience of the Rans S10.
I have just acquired an interest in an early example with a view to flying aerobatics.
I have a list of required mods from Francis D. but would like to speak to anyone who experience in both carrying out the required work and flying this type.

NJ673

Post by NJ673 » Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:13 pm

I have had a couple of S10's :P what do you want to know?
Gordon

mikehallam

Post by mikehallam » Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:09 am

I'm looking for a quicker Rans than the S4 which otherwise is delightful, preferably with a Rotax 503 so as to avoid all those nasty oil/water circuits. Could you as an owner kindly outline performance from grass with one 95 Kg P1 and steady i.e. sensible cruise etc.
I'd be most grateful.

Mike.

NJ673

Post by NJ673 » Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:13 pm

Mike

The UK S10's are generally fitted with the 582 or 532 engines, as far as I am aware none have a 503, a couple have the 912.

Performance with the 582 when solo is good and I flew mine comfortably of the 350yd part of my 500yd strip, 2 up needs a bit more of a take off run but still adequately comfortable on 500yds. I rarely flew mine straight and level long enough to see what its cruise speed was.. mabe 85-90mph. Its been a while since I flew one.

They are not everyones cup of tea, as being mid wing they have an unusual feel on the ground when taking off and landing. They are also a bit more of an aeroplane than the price might suggest and this scares a lot of folks off after they have bought one then tried to fly it for the first time!. A love it or hate it type of plane, most who hate it have never been in one!!!

I flew the crap out of my first one and loved every second of it :roll: . I sold my second shortly after getting it repermitted due to hangar space being needed, always kinda regretted that!

Gordon