VW extra-sparkplug-cutter jig

The place to raise issues, ask questions, swap ideas and discuss anything related to aircraft engineering, maintenance and building.
NB Any opinions expressed in this forum are not necessarily those of LAA Engineering

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

cardiffrob

VW extra-sparkplug-cutter jig

Post by cardiffrob » Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:43 pm

I'm about to buy one. Anyone need it after me? It can cut for both size extra plug threads.

Rob in Cardiff

Phil Burgess

Post by Phil Burgess » Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:29 pm

You might want to go for small plugs first to give you a second go if the threads strip in service. Getting inserts machined and fitted can be a royal pain latter on.

jamie_duff

Post by jamie_duff » Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:46 pm

I'll need to do this at some point Rob, but I'm not ready yet and money is tight because an ex-friend is sueing me (lesson No.1 - Choose friends more carefully)...

If the jig is still around (somewhere) when I'm back on my feet I'd like it though, but I can't commit to when that might be :?

PB

Post by PB » Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:34 pm

My recommendation would be to go for 14mm plugs with helicoils right from the off. Always worked perfectly for me. Putting the plugs directly into the heads always causes trouble in the end.

cardiffrob

Post by cardiffrob » Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:57 pm

NGK plugs (and Bosch if you are really unable to buy proper plugs) have rolled threads whilst Champion plugs (fishing weights, in my opinion) have cut threads. Champion always seem to neglect to you tell this in their sales info.

Jamie. No prob. No charges 9other than postage)

PS. Anyone travelling between Glasgow and Cardiff with an empty seat? Seat needs to be VW sized to carry a spare new engine. Thought I'd ask, just in case!!