Inverted compass

The place to raise issues, ask questions, swap ideas and discuss anything related to aircraft engineering, maintenance and building.
NB Any opinions expressed in this forum are not necessarily those of LAA Engineering

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

ROB THOMASSON

Inverted compass

Post by ROB THOMASSON » Wed May 27, 2009 8:56 am

Can anyone point me to a link on how you use these things. My Auster has one and having a taxi practice yesterday I realised I didn't know how to drive the darned thing. The three pointed needle and a swingable dial is too much for a bear of very little brain!

NickChittenden

Post by NickChittenden » Sun May 31, 2009 10:36 pm

Set the compass on the heading you desire and then align the T when aloft, I should imagine trying to taxi and use the compass was pretty hopeless. Most of the Dakotas I used to fly had these compasses, they were accurate, but one still wonders about an UPSIDEDOWN compass?!!

Martin Ryan

Post by Martin Ryan » Sun May 31, 2009 11:06 pm

Such great fun when I was learning first skills back in early 70's with Kemps aviation and the infamous Anson's( 19 or were they 21?) from Thruxton being lookout as pilot just followed the compass( head down) and instructions from the back!! doing OS Maps

Never understood the rotation at set speed the pilot raised the u/c and noise stopped, then later it cilmbed slowly over the trees especially on 02 or they very steep uphill runway 31!! on which the airtourer 115 could fast taxi but not take off in summer.

This was of course after we had managed to climb to 6k and then decided to shut down engine using most oil. Do remember great pics of 'events' in fields below but too junior to be allowed a copy, in todays digital age it would have been live feed to the 'SUN'!!
what memories!?