Colour Matching Butyrate Dope

The place to raise issues, ask questions, swap ideas and discuss anything related to aircraft engineering, maintenance and building.
NB Any opinions expressed in this forum are not necessarily those of LAA Engineering

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

mike newall

Colour Matching Butyrate Dope

Post by mike newall » Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:55 pm

We are recovering the tail surfaces of a Tiger Moth and need to match the original yellow dope. I have tried Skycraft, they don't have a close match. Does anyone know of a matching service like auto paint ? We are using butyrate as topcoat to match the previous finish and for ongoing ease of maintenance.
The only reference we have is a note saying it was 'Golden Yellow'. It ws painted by Lincs Aerial Sprayers in 1983.

JohnMead

Butyrate dope colour

Post by JohnMead » Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:54 pm

Try LAS, they advertise mixing colours. "Golden Yellow" is a standard colour ( BS381C 356 I think), being the shade in which my piper J5 is finished.

John Mead

tnowak

Post by tnowak » Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:30 am

I think you will find LAS can only produce colours to standard Randolph colour card formulas. If you need to colour match I think Randolph in USA will do it, come up with the mix formula which they can then pass onto LAS (or any other distributor of their paints).
Of course, this all take a while to sort out.....
I had a similar problem when I had my wings recovered. New "Lockhaven Yellow" is a few shades lighter than the rest of my "old" paint.

Roger Partington

Post by Roger Partington » Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:58 pm

I had a problem getting the right shade of white after Randalf changed hands and LAS managed to mix some up of the right colour and even sent a small amount of tint with the new dope so that I could adjust it further if needed. They are definately worth a try.

timr

Post by timr » Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:51 am

Mike,

I have a number of different tins of Yellow Randolph if you want them. Got them with my Great Lakes, the guy was obviously trying to match the yellow!!!

Think you know how to contact me :D

Tim